Chapter 14

Messita's head throbbed as she sat on the throne overlooking the Caldozzan valley. Since arriving, the view had become her addiction. She located the strategic points where their people could approach with minimal detection and less effort. An intense pain tore through her skull, and she grimaced. She popped a pill the queen's doctor had prescribed to quell the disturbing sounds coming from her mind. It didn't take long for her 'normal' to resume.

Runan and Solara kneeled on the rug before her, not daring to look in her eyes with the guards present. Messita nodded to dismiss the servants and waited until their footsteps left the vicinity. She limped over to Runan and removed the watch from his wrist. His skin was olive and healthy like hers used to be compared with the queen's lightly tanned hands marred with red blotches. Solara handed her watch over too. Once Messita had stored them away in a metal box her advisor had told her blocked transmission signals, she asked her brother and friend to stand with her at the windows. The queen's uneven heels didn't accommodate her awkward gait and the difference in the height of her legs.

Messita gripped the metal rail in front of the glass. "They're so different than we imagined as kids."

Runan glanced at Solara then back at Messita. "I don't understand how they conquered our people."

"The ailments appeared in recent generations."

"Because of their tech?" Runan asked.

"Partly. Limiting entry to their city and sending more people away with no replacements limits their gene pool. Their bodies are already fragile and susceptible to tech radiation effects. With each generation of weakened offspring, it's harder for them to adapt."

"Have they considered changing their lifestyle or bringing in more people?" Solara asked.

Messita shook her head. "They're proud, stubborn people. They believe tech is the answer and some may go as far as I have, transferring their mind and self to another more capable Lower body."

"There must be risks."

Messita closed her eyes to alleviate her dizziness. "Two minds in one home isn't feasible long term."

Her brother's rough voice cut through the room. "So they plan to render us brain-dead to use our bodies. For what purpose?"

"To live their lives freely, to have healthy, living families."

The image of Ju'rah being apprehended broke her heart. He, wondering if he was screwed or if her mind had escaped her body's fate to drag him to Upper-Caldozza. Her hands ached to run along his stubble-lined face, to press lips against his even in this stranger's defective body. Maybe his presence would settle her sense of identity and suppress some odd sensations she'd experienced.

"Partnerships between Uppers and Lowers for genetically mixed families would be far less dangerous and complicated," Solara said, making Runan stiffen.

Messita held her chuckle. She'd suspected his feelings for Solara hadn't faded with time. "The royals brainwashed people to believe we're lawless, soulless animals. The way our memories are altered doesn't help either."

"If we don't fix them, we can't earn a living," Solara muttered.

"The Uppers demand for entertainment has created the image they fear and despise," Messita said.

Runan leaned forward on the metal banister. "Did you learn all of that since you got here?"

Messita rested her weight on the cool rail. "No, my Upper memory connection shared lots of this with me before I jumped." Those regular chats had kept her sane. Even in Mem-Stem's cold business structure, someone cared about their wellbeing, ironically the only non-Lower she dealt with.