13

Trigger warning: drug mention, violence mention, weapon mention, abuse mention

A/N: I know the chapter with Alex getting irrationally angry in english class seems weird but it ties in with this chapter and makes sense with the overall plot and theme of the book. (It also may also have lowkey been an excuse for me to rant about how much I despise my AP Literature class but we don't have to talk about that.) 

The excerpt of the story Alex is writing is kind of long but I think it's interesting and I love writing it so I decided to keep it long :)

I hope this is a nice distraction from the fact that coronavirus is destroying the world! 

"So, Alexander, how was your first day at school?"

Alex was sitting at the dinner table with Mr. and Mrs. Washington.

"It was okay." Alex said. "Except for English. The two assholes behind me won't stop gossipping while the teacher's talking."

Mrs. Washington laughed, unfazed by Alex's swearing. Alex swore like a sailor. It was a terrible habit he'd developed over the years. Swear words had become such an integral part of his vocabulary that he sometimes swore without realizing it because he'd forgotten that swear words were supposed to be bad.

Mr. Jergensen had always gotten angry when Alex swore. That had only made him want to swear more.

"I'm afraid that senseless gossip is just part of a typical high school experience." She said, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "I'm sure you'll get used to it eventually."

"It's infuriating. I can't focus on what the teacher is saying. They think that just because they don't need to pay attention, nobody else does. It's fine if they don't want to pay attention, but it's not fair that they're taking away the chance from people who actually do want to hear what the teacher's saying."

"That's an excellent argument." Mr. Washington said. "I think you're going to make a fine lawyer."

"I can start by suing them for disrupting my sanity."

Alex took a bite of his dinner. He could see the Washingtons watching him, trying to make sure that he was eating enough. The orphanage had told them that he was a "picky eater."

Alexander Hamilton had never in his life been a picky eater. Adults had labeled him a "picky eater" so they wouldn't have to deal with the real problems that were making him not eat. After Alex's brother had died, he'd lost all interest in food. He'd gone weeks without eating anything. Eating was something people did to keep themselves alive, and at that point Alex hadn't seen the point in keeping himself alive. As he'd gotten older, he'd learned to force himself to eat a little bit, just enough so he wasn't so weak and exhausted all the time, so his stomach didn't constantly ache.

"If I sued everyone who'd ever disrupted my sanity, I'd be a billionaire by now." Mr. Washington joked.

Alex wanted to point out that judging from the look of his house he probably already was a billionaire, but he figured that that would just make him angry. Alex knew all too well what happened when he made adults angry.

"I'd have to sue the entire human population." Mrs. Washington said. "Starting with whoever invented math."

"Not to burst your bubble, my love, but I'm pretty sure that the man who invented math has been dead for thousands of years."

Mrs. Washington smirked. It suddenly occurred to Alex that she must have been beautiful when she was younger.

"I will bring him back to life for the sole purpose of suing him."