• Cold Breeze •

Chapter fourteen: Cold Breeze

I watch as the woman poured some tea on her cup

I watch as the woman poured some tea on her cup. The wrinkles on her skin just indicate how much she aged on the span of all these years.

"How have you been, Your Royal Highness?" I asked, helping her set the tea pot aside. Her shaking hands worries me. "Please forgive me for only having to visit once in a week."

"Did that wretch been giving you a hard time." Her hoarse voice said. "I heard from your Court Ladies that you've been occupied for the past days."

"Your Royal Highness..." I sighed at her use of words, as she pertains to the current Queen Dowager.

"Oh' you poor child. Being a Queen really is a challenge isn't it, Your Majesty?" But the kindness behind her harsh words dont come unnoticed.

I smiled at her. To the very woman that I leaned on for all these years.
The Royal Queen Dowager, the former King's mother, and my King's grand-mother.

Even if years had passed, time had run on her, and despite of the wrinkles on her face, her beauty did not fade. And so is the kindness that she've been giving me.

"I am not going to ask about last night's consummation, because I already know that you wouldn't want to talk about it." She started, and I sighed.
"His Majesty have gone here this morning, asking me about your knowledge in politics. Now I wonder what the reason was." She said and took a sip from her cup.

"He wanted me to investigate some things for the court. To handle some emerging rebels." I said.

The Royal Queen Dowager stared at me, her tea already forgotten. "He want what now?"

"He said that he may be needing me on this field, as he couldn't find anyone to trust on his own court." I explained.

The former Queen sighed, "Does he know the amount of danger he is putting you through?" The woman gritted, "And do you know how hard that would be for you? You are a Queen, not a lowly guard to be boss around!"

"I know, Your Royal Highness." I said, lowering my head. "But I agreed because I can't just play blind while the King was suffering. This possible rebellion might affect his regime, and as his Queen, I need to do something."

"Is that why you visit me?" Her voice wavers, earning my attention. "Because you are troubled?"

"No, Your Royal Highness. Please dont think that I only thought of you whenever I need something, or whenever I am in conflict with myself." I sighed,
"I am here because I heard from the Royal Physician that you have been weak these past few days." I said, staring back at her. "Have you been drinking your medicine?"

The woman sighed, "I am old, Hyun Ae, and age comes with so many things. Instead of delaying my parting—"

"Please dont say things like that, Your Royal Highness!" I said, tears starting to swell in each corner of my eyes. The thought of losing her stir the emotional side of me.
I've been through so many loss, and I can't afford more.
And this woman..she's the only person aside of my mother that actually believes in me. "If I must personally give you the medicine, then I will! Just to ensure that you were taking them." I firmly said.