• Promises •

Chapter twenty-one: Promises

Seokjin was young when he met the oldest son of the Ahns

Seokjin was young when he met the oldest son of the Ahns. He was soft spoken and caring, always talking fondly about his brother and his sister. He's smart and knowledgeable. When Seokjin was torn between lessons and sword fightings, he's the only person that was there to help young Seokjin decides.

They became closer than friends, brothers than enemies. He's the only person Seokjin trusted with his every little secrets. The only person that Seokjin trusted.

His one visit on the Ahn Household, that Summer afternoon, became constant. Every summer, or even every opportunity he has, he would go there. He likes the homey feeling of their hanok, the delicious food the Ahns gave him, and the sweet smile of him.

Seokjin should not feel such emotion. But he does.

Before he knew it, he already fell, too hard.

His feelings kept him awake at night. And some times, in his room, he would write him letters. Letters that he never been able to give his friend.

Friend. Seokjin scoffed at that thought.

He put the quill down and tear the paper apart.

What was he thinking!? They were just friends. And friends shouldn't feel so attracted to the other!

"What is wrong with me!?" He would constantly ask himself.
"This is wrong. So wrong." He whispered, pinching his arms in anger.

He cant understand himself. He dont know what it was inside him. He dont know why instead of a young maiden, he was attractive to a man—to his closest friend.

He can't understand. He's lusting over his friend.

This is wrong. This is so wrong.

Seokjin was startled upon hearing a knock from his room's door. The wooden material was almost knocked down due to the force put upon those knocks.

He stood up, walk towards his door, and opened it without any second thoughts.

The tear-stained face of his younger brother came into his view.

Taehyung was young, and innocent. But the innocence that was always there was gone, and pained replaced it.

"Why are you crying? And why are you still awake!?" Seokjin asked, taking his younger brother in his embrace. Trying to calm him.

"T-There was a p-plot." The younger boy muttered, still crying. "Hyun Sik-hyungnim told me to go h-home, and ask for h-help."

"Help? Taehyung you have to calm down first and tell me everything." Seokjin muttered, his hand gently brushing on the small of the boy's back. Calming his brother. "Tell me, what happened."

"The Ahns are being attacked!" And Seokjin never felt fear like ever before.

Before he could even come up with a clearer plan, he was already sprinting to the Ahn's hanok. The biggest hanok on their area.

By the dark sight of the house and its open gate, Seokjin can already tell that something was wrong.  And so he entered without hesitation. He took the back door instead of getting inside through the front, it's safest in case there were still men around.

The quietness scared him, but he kept going. And then he halted on his steps when he heard cries, and the blood tainting the floor, and then hurried footsteps.

The sight that make his knees go weak, were the dead body of his friend's mother and younger brother, bathing in their own blood, and a slit on their throat. It was a horrendous sight, something that will keep you awake at night fearing for your life.

But he has no time to grieve for the people that took him in and treated him like a family, because there was another person that perhaps needs saving.

He heard those familiar cries before, and Seokjin can't be mistaken.

It must be Hyun Ae.

Though his heart was aching, and the blood on the floor scares him, he still walk further inside. In the depth of his chest, he's praying he wont be seeing his friend's body bathing on his own blood. Seokjin have no idea what he will do if he'll lose his friend.

Hyun Ae's back was turned to him, a sword in his hand, she was positioned for defense, ready to fight whoever was on their way to where Seokjin and her, are.

But Seokjin wont let that. He'll save her.

And so he did not hesitate to run towards the girl and took her in his arms, running fast and away from the house, with Hyun Ae struggling on his hold.

He only stopped when he made sure that no one was with them, and that's when he saw the tear stained face of the bright girl that always welcome him to their home. Her clothes and her pale skin was tainted with the blood of her family.

His heart throb in pain for the girl. And so he hug her tight. As tight as he could, trying to convey a message, a promise.

He was also there when they buried the remains of the Ahn. He was there when Hyun Ae was crying almost each night. He was there waiting with Hyun Ae for a lost brother to come back, for his friend to come back home, for his lost love. And Seokjin was there, when Hyun Ae was named Crown Princess. And he was there again when she married the second Prince. And then he entered the palace and became one of the youngest Minister of the court. He was always there. Watching. Protecting, the only person he swore to protect with his life.

That night he found her bathed in her family's blood, crying in pain, Seokjin swore to himself to always protect the remaining Ahn. And he swore again to Hyun Ae's family's grave, that he will look after their child. He swore to the wind, hoping his promises will be safely delivered to his lost love, that he will protect his sister.

Seokjin promised to himself to never let anything happen to Hyun Ae, and he's determined to never break that promise.