BONUS CHAPTER #4

~An Unlikely Bond~

PART 4- The Return

SHIP: Jophie (Japeth and Sophie) and Japaric (Japeth and Aric)
SETTING: Takes place in Camelot during TOTK.
SCENARIO: (Continuation of BONUS CHAPTER #3) With the last ring in their possession, Japeth and Sophie have all they need to bring Aric back. But will Japeth and Aric's reunion be a happy one? And when Aric does return, what will he think of Japeth and Sophie's marriage? 

---------------------

Darkness clouded Sophie's vision as if a blanket had shrouded her entire being. Her head throbbed and she stumbled blindly, searching for something to grasp onto. But it seemed there was no end to the abyss that surrounded her.

The ringing in Sophie's ears became louder, louder until she couldn't hear herself think. As she struggled to find her way back to the light, she distinctly remembered the thumping sound of a heartbeat.

Just minutes before, Sophie was standing in the throne room alongside Japeth as three servants worked to put out the burning throne using buckets of water from the kitchen. When the fire had been extinguished, the servants hurried out of the room, leaving the King and Queen of Camelot alone.

"So our deal still stands?" Sophie inquired, staring at Japeth as he held out the ring in front of him, shadows obscuring the engravings in the silver band. "You'll let Teddy and Aggie go free?"

Japeth didn't look at her, staring wonderingly at the ring now in his possession, the hope still evident on his smooth face. He looked almost like a young boy who'd just gotten everything he asked for for Christmas.

"When Aric is back, I'll have no need to keep you and your friends here," Japeth said dismissively as if his thoughts were elsewhere. But than he finally looked at her. "Just don't break a chandelier when you make your leave or slip a magical crystal into someone's unsuspecting bath tub."

Despite the fact that her friends were distrustful of her now, and despite everything that had happened tonight, Sophie felt laughter bubble up from her throat. Had Japeth really just made a joke? He never made jokes!

But something else Japeth said made Sophie's laughter fade as realization dawned on her. She'd never thought about what she'd do after she'd helped Japeth get the final ring back. Now, Tedros and Agatha seemed to hate her. Sophie never thought of what she'd do after Japeth let her go. Going back to being Dean seemed like child's play after everything she'd been through these past few months, and for some reason, the thought of leaving Japeth behind made something inside Sophie cry out in protest.

"Are you gonna remain King of Camelot after Aric's return or..." Sophie's voice trailed off as she watched Japeth saunter forward, his blue gaze still focused on the ring in his hand.

Japeth headed straight for the doors and Sophie followed him, Evelyn's red dress fanning out behind her like a train as she walked after him. "Where are you going?" Sophie cried after him. "Japeth!"

Japeth turned abruptly, his icy blue gaze conveying a look of uncertainty as if he was unsure whether to ignore her question or respond. Than, he tipped his head back slightly in a gesture--an obvious sign he wished for her to follow him.

"You promised you'd help me get Aric back, so come," Japeth told her. "Let's go get Aric back, together."

"Together?" Sophie whispered, struck by emotion and her voice wavered.

Japeth met her gaze, his icy blue eyes brimming in tears. They weren't tears of sadness, but tears of happiness that had Sophie almost forgetting all about her loss of hope.