Fifteen

'Dancing with Minerva'

"The Yule Ball," McGonagall began, addressing all the Gryffindors, "has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception

"The Yule Ball," McGonagall began, addressing all the Gryffindors, "has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception."

The Transfiguration Professor shot Filch a pointed look as he attempted to fix the music, sending a crackling of static instead.

"On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is, first and foremost... a dance."

The boys, sat in chairs against one wall, all groaned, while the girls opposite then began chattering excitedly. Katie and Lori looked at each other and squealed.

"Silence!" McGonagall bellowed, "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly 10 centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

She looked around, "Now, to dance is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight. Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance."

Her hawk eyes scanned the boys, before settling on one, "Mr Weasley?"

"Yes?" he replied reluctantly.

"Will you join me, please?"

Katie and Lori held back a fit of giggles as Ron awkwardly walked to the middle of the room.

"Would you place your right hand on my waist?"

"Where?" he looked halfway between shocked and wanting to be sick.

"My waist." he reluctantly agreed, Seamus wolf whistling, "And extend your arm. Mr Filch, if you please?" A slow waltz played through the speaker, "One, two, three. One, two, three." Ron's face paled as he danced stiffly with their Head of House, "Everybody, come together."

The girls shot onto their feet, eagerly trying to find partners with the boys, who looked like they would rather pitch themselves off the Astronomy Tower.

"Boys, on your feet!"

Katie and Lori looked at each other mischievously, the former bowing slightly, "May I have this dance, my lady?"

"You may, my lady." Lori clutched her hand, placing one on Katie's waist, the two waltzing exuberantly around the room.

*