Sixteen

'The Yule Ball'

Lori put the final touches to Hermione's hair, before humming to herself in satisfaction and looking at the both of them in the mirror by Katie's bed

Lori put the final touches to Hermione's hair, before humming to herself in satisfaction and looking at the both of them in the mirror by Katie's bed. The younger girl smiled at her through the mirror. Katie and the others had agreed to let them have the dorm, the two girls sharing their anxiousness about having to open the dance.

They nervously left the Common Room and headed through the empty corridors to the dance. Everyone who wasn't a champion or their partner had been chivvied inside by McGonagall, leaving just the four champions, Roger and Parvati in the atrium.

Just before the corner, Lori and Hermione pulled each other into a hug, calming themselves before descending the last set of steps.

Cedric's eyes widened in awe as Lori slowly came towards him, one hand linked with Hermione. Her hair was sleeked up into a high ponytail, the ends curled with several ginger wisps by her cheeks. Her red dress slightly swayed with each step, the top tight fitting and the skirt slightly loose around her ankles, with a slit down the side.

 Her red dress slightly swayed with each step, the top tight fitting and the skirt slightly loose around her ankles, with a slit down the side

"You look beautiful..." he smiled when she reached the last step, his breath slightly taken away.

Lori blushed, "As do you."

He offered her his arm, which she graciously took, as he led her to the closed doors. They stood behind Krum and Hermione and in front of Harry and Parvati, with Fleur and Roger leading, all the girls standing on the left.

"Nervous?" Cedric asked her, noticing the way she kept biting her lip subconsciously.

She looked up at him, "Very."

A tremendous fanfare of applause began, the doors to the Great Hall sliding open. Cedric squeezed her hand, "Me too."

Everyone had formed a passage to the main dance floor, clapping as the four champions and their dates passed through, excited and nervous, Lori and Cedric smiling at their friends.

The hall went quiet as the four sets of partners found a space. Cedric smiled at Lori as he put one hand around her waist and the other clasping one of her own, her loose hand around the top of his arm. Flitwick tapped his baton a few times, the orchestra springing into an upbeat waltz. The two Captains moved almost as one, Lori surprised that she didn't step on his toes.