v

~COUNT TO 67~
Chapter 5- no more innocence

"it is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool rather than speak and remove all doubt of it

"it is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool rather than speak and remove all doubt of it."

-Maurice Switzer

The date of Zailee's birthday came quickly, too quickly. Zailee bit her lip nervously as she leaned against the balcony. She observed everything around Victor's Village, not missing a thing from Mags hanging up laundry to Finnick at the pier, tying a knot in some rope repeatedly.

She sighed and sat down on the edge of her bed. She didn't know what to do, of course, she didn't. How does one even prepare for being sold?

Zailee simply got changed into a light pink, flowy dress and put on some basic makeup. She wandered downstairs and walked to one of the many kitchen cabinets. She took a jar filled with sugar cubes out and started to pop one in her mouth.

She rolled it around with her tongue before biting down on it, giving a satisfying crunch. Eating sugar cubes was a strange habit of hers, she just preferred them to normal sweets.

As she was about to put another sugar cube in her mouth, there was a knock on her door. She made her way to the front door cautiously, wary of all dangers.

She gripped the silver handle in her hand and turned it to the right, opening the white door.

"Happy birthday!" Zailee received a face full of confetti. Finnick, Annie and Mags stood at the door, holding a few presents.

"Oh, thanks, guys." They stood with a cake with candles stuck wonkily in it, a smile from ear to ear on each face. "Do you wanna come in? I have to leave soon though." Their smiles lessened slightly but nodded anyway.

"Where do you need to go?" Annie asked after setting the cake on the dining table.

"Just making a trip to the Capitol." She smiled but it didn't reach her eyes. Finnick caught onto this but kept his mouth shut, being aware of what she had to do.

"On your birthday?" The younger girl continued to pry.

"Yeah, uh I'm visiting Vesta." She quickly lied.

"Oh, can't you stay?"

"No, I really should go now though." She said as she checked the clock on the wall.

"What about the presents? Please just open one." Annie begged.

"Ann, I really need to go."

"But-"

"Annie, Zailee needs to go." Finnick intervened, seeing the desperation in Zailee's eyes.

He knew that anxiety well, President Snow didn't like it when his 'customers' were kept waiting.