x

COUNT TO 67
Chapter 10 - her return

"Farewells can be shattering, but returns are surely worse

"Farewells can be shattering, but returns are surely worse."

- Margaret Atwood

Finnick was a shell of what he used to be. After finding out that Zailee was pregnant and left on a dangerous mission, he was overwhelmed with anxiety.

"Finnick?" Annie poked her head from around the door of her district four home in victor's village.

Annie - despite Zailee's wishes and prayers - was reaped but won the 70th hunger games. She was now known not as a victor but instead that insane girl from District four. Her district partner was decapitated right in front of the girl, leaving her paranoid and derailed. She would have moments where she would completely go insane but others where she was eerily quiet.

"Yeah?"

"Do you want to go to the market?" She asked, her face completely blank.

"Alright." The pair had grown close after the year of Zailee's disappearance. Finnick and Mags mentored Annie and did anything to help her to survive as promised to Zailee.

They grabbed their coats and bags and headed to the market.

The usually loud area was quiet with whispers, the duo looked around in confusion towards where everyone's stares were.

There was a woman stood with a crying bundle, black hair tied into a fishtail braid, dressed in all black. She finished talking to the woman at the stand and turned around and locked eyes with Annie and Finnick.

They stared at each other intensely as if checking if the other was real.

Zailee looked extremely healthy and no sign of fatigue nor injuries. In fact, she looked better than before, her arms and legs were toned and she looked strong. She didn't look like she had just given birth.

"I'm still waiting for a hug." Zailee teased after a long staring contest. Annie was first to engulf the woman in a tight embrace, Finnick still stood in shock.

"Can I hold it?" Annie asked excitedly.

"She's a little shy," Zailee warned as she slowly handed her child to her friend.

"She's beautiful," Annie muttered.

"Finn? I didn't think I'd have to wait so long for a hug." Zailee smiled sadly.

Finnick ran up to her and held her for a long time. "You're back, you're really back?" He clutched her as if she were about to slip from his grasp.

"I'm back, Finn. I'm never leaving you or Annie or Mags again." She promised. "I love you too much to do that again."

"Why didn't you tell me about her?" He pointed to the baby Annie was whispering sweetly too.

Zailee paused. "I think we should go home to talk about everything." She said, glancing at the multiple pairs of eyes staring.