viii

Count to 67
Chapter eight -  a little drinking game

"the difference between stupidity and genius is the genius has its limits

"the difference between stupidity and genius is the genius has its limits."

-Albert Einstein.

"Lee? Oh god, I think I broke her." Finnick panicked as Zailee had a faraway look in her eyes. He poked the girl in her face and sighed in relief when she yelped.

"Y-you were talking about m-me?" Zailee questioned. "Yo-you're in love with me?"

"Yeah..." Finnick sighed. "It's always been you."

"H-how long have you lo-loved me for?"

"Eleven years." He said truthfully.

"Eleven years?!" Her eyes widened. "That long?" 

"Yeah."

"If we're being truthful, then I haven't felt the same way for that long." She muttered and then realised what she said.

"Wait, you feel the same way?" Finnick asked hopefully.

She paused to choose her answer: a lie or the truth? She decided on the latter. "Y-yeah, I do."

⁖⋰···⁘◖⁘···⋰⁖

Zailee knew that only one tribute could make it out alive: she knew that when Wade and Marina were about to be sent off to their inevitable deaths.

"Look, I know that the arena is terrifying, to say the least," Zailee said and Marina scoffed, she ignored the pissed teenager. "But, the least you can do is just to try your best. It's cheesy, I know." She laughed nervously.

"Easy for you to say, you just have to sit back and relax." Marina scowled.

"I think you forget that I was also a tribute once." Zailee reminded. 

"But I'm sure it was easy for you-"

"Normally, the temperature was about -15 degrees Celsius in there, and that was one of the good days." Zailee scowled. "But it was fine because the games only lasted two days." She said sarcastically. "People just froze or got stabbed."

"Right, sorry," Marina mumbled. 

"It's fine, I get you're nervous but remember, you have each other, the Capitol love you two. You'll have plenty of sponsors and me and Finnick will always try and help you, alright?"

"Okay..." Wade nodded nervously.

"Speaking of, where is that boy?"She tutted. "Hold on."

Zailee strode towards the victor's room. "Finnick." She opened the door and sighed when she saw the man was still sleeping. "Finnick!"