xii

COUNT TO 67
Chapter twelve - jealousy

"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die

"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die. "

- Carrie Fisher

Zailee was uncharacteristically joyful, some might say over the moon, as she skipped over to Annie's house the next morning and knocked on the door in a rhythmic pattern.

The ginger girl answered the door, eerily quiet.

This was usual for the girl so Zailee was slightly saddened to see the girl in this state but was unfazed. Not much could ruin her happy-go-lucky behaviour today, anticipation built up quickly during the night.

"Zailee, you're here...you didn't say you were coming."

Her expression faltered. "Is this a bad time, I can come back later-"

"No, it's fine, it's just a little...messy." Annie stared at her feet, suddenly becoming very interested in her white, fluffy socks. Admittedly, they do look comfortable.

Annie stepped aside, letting Zailee into her home. Messy was an understatement, there were glass and ceramic shards littered on the floor and a table was somehow overturned, it was obvious that Annie had another meltdown, it must've happened when Zailee was out in town.

"Are-are you alright, Ann?"

Annie nodded half-heartedly and quickly changed the subject. "So, what welcomes you to my humble abode?" She joked and Zailee laughed uneasily.

"I just had something exciting to tell you...I, uh, don't think it's that important though." She smiled as she bent down to start picking up shards of broken vases. Annie quickly joined her.

"Please, tell me, I need something to distract my mind." Annie's eyes went a little insane but it was just a flash, so quick that the other woman missed it.

"Well, I've got a date on Saturday..." She swivelled around quickly when she heard glass being broken again. Annie's hand was all bloody as she crushed the large shard in her hand.

"What?! You can't!"

"Why...is there something happening? Do you need me then-" Zailee threw all the shards of glass in the bin and hurried over to Annie to examine her hand.

"No, bu-but, Finnick!"

"What about him?"

"Don't you still love him?!" The question caught her off-guard yet she replied calmly.