vi

COUNT TO 67
Chapter 6 - a pull and a clamp

"don't walk in front of me, i may not follow

"don't walk in front of me, i may not follow. don't walk behind me, i may not lead. walk beside me, just be my friend."

-Albert Camus

Zailee was not one to cower away from things, yet when she was due to mentor the tributes from district four for the 68th hunger games, she cringed and denied it. She claimed she was ill.

Instead Mags mentored for her that year. Zailee felt terrible about it but couldn't bring herself to tell the truth, the truth that she was not ill but instead scared. She knew that the elderly woman needed a break so this year, she stepped foot onto the train that led to the Capitol.

The tributes for district four were pretty basic, they looked like any other tribute. They were roughly 16 years old and they were not too muscular but not scrawny either, they didn't look like they would strike fear into the others but they did seem like good allies.

The boy had blonde hair and brown eyes whilst the girl had brown hair and hazel eyes.

Zailee's palm was sweating slightly, afraid that she was going to be the reason that her tributes would die.

"Lee? Snap out of it." Finnick clicked his fingers in front of her face. "Don't worry so much, you'll do fine." He reassured the nervous girl.

"What if I mess up Finn?" She gazed up into his piercing green eyes.

"You won't, they'll love you." He said as they reached their mentor's compartment on the train. "Just... don't get too attached to them just yet."

"Why?"

"Because there's no promising that they'll get out of that arena alive, sounds morbid but it's true. Only one tribute can."

She bit her lip nervously before mumbling, "Okay."

"Let's go meet them." He started to turn for the door before Zailee stopped him.

"Wait," A devious smirk pulled at her lips. "I have an idea."

"Alright, just don't shake them up too badly." He laughed but he was nervous about what Zailee had up her sleeve.

"No promises." She turned on her heel and walked the door that opened for her. Finnick trailed behind the ebony-haired girl, worried about what she was about to do.

The two tributes turned around at the sound of the door sliding open. "Hi, I'm Wade and that's Marina."

"Great, don't care." She said bluntly, the tributes looking at her wide-eyed. "Look, we're only here to keep you alive for as long as possible before you meet your ultimate demise." She glared a burning hole into Marina's skull. They were no doubt starring at her white eye.