Chapter Seventeen

"The only heaven I'll be sent to is when I'm with you."

Taehyung.

Julian had a box with Taehyung'ucking name on it.

I had no time for thinking this through. Without wasting another second, my trembling fingers frantically searched for a way to open the little ornamented box.

Click.

Trying not to damage it, I slowly raised the lid up. My brain struggled to take in what my eyes were telling me. I stared down intently, my eyes threatening to jump out of their sockets.

Envelopes. So many envelopes. There must have been at least fifty or sixty envelopes stuffed in that box.

Carefully, I took one envelope in between my fingers. Holding my breath, I turned it around only to see that it had been already opened. But that was not what took my breath away.

It was addressed to me.

I reached inside the envelope and took out what seemed to be a letter. My fingers were trembling. Dread overcame me, attempting to reverse my steps back to my bedroom. No. I can't back out now. I need to know.

My teeth locked tight together. This was something there was no going back from.

In this frozen state of mind, I started reading. My eyes skimmed through the lines, unsteady and quivering as an icy chill crept over me.

My sweet Valerie,

Happy birthday! I wish I could be there to celebrate with you, but I am far away in Africa on this historical expedition. We're about to find a treasure! How exciting, right? I wish I could share this experience with you. I promise I'll send you a nice birthday gift once I'm done here. Maybe something like a tiara? It would be fitting for a princess like you.

Forever yours,

Taehyung

My mind was worryingly empty, like it was refusing to let the information set in. Startled but not scared, I tossed the letter away and grabbed another envelope, opening it hastily.

My sweetest Valerie,

I'm writing to you from Paris. Here everyone insists on greeting each other with a kiss on the cheek. This custom of hugging and kissing, it kind of irks me. Why would I want a total stranger to kiss my cheek? Ew, right! I think that you, too, would find this to be extremely uncomfortable, since you and I are so alike.

Yesterday I visited the Louvre. I hope I can show it to you someday. Until then, keep me in your thoughts as I keep you in mine.

Forever yours,