• curiosity •

Third Person
"It's been awhile little buddy" Hinata looked up at him and read his lips.

He widened his eyes and jumped back once he realised who it was.

"You know this guy, Hinata?" Kageyama asks, leaning down so Hinata can see what he's saying.

"I've met him once or twice" the guy says. "It was awhile ago."

Hinata tugs Kageyamas arm and practically drags him away, jerking his head and sighing.

"How's your mum Shou?" one of them shouts, knowing that Hinata cant hear him. "Does she still hate you for what you did?"

'What he did?' Kageyama thought before staring daggers at them.

"What did you just say?" he growls at them.
Hinata tugs his shirt and shakes his head.

He signs to Kageyama while they walk, and although he can barely understand it, he's been practicing JSL himself too.

Kageyama recognises the words, What, you, south

'What were you doing on the south side' maybe?

'Is this how Hinata feels whenever he has to read lips?' Kageyama thinks, 'Must be exhausting.'

"I got lost" He say to him "How do you know those guys?"

Hinata shrugs and signs,

Everybody knows everybody there.

Kageyama POV

I forgot how bad that side of town can get.
We were at least half an hour early when we arrived at the gym.

'Toss?' Hinata mouths.
I smile and nod at him saying "Duh"

After about 20 minutes I'm exhausted.
Hinata jumps and asked for another but I wave my hand at him as if to say, 'shoo'

He sits down next to me and hands me a note.

Natsu really liked having you around

I looked at him, blushing a little.
He was smiling at me.

I've always liked small things, but they've never liked me back.
Take my uncles cat for example.
It was so small and round but when I picked it up it scratched me in the face.

But these two small siblings didn't pretend to like me.
They genuinely enjoyed my company.

I wrote back, blushing:

How about I come over again today?

He looks up at me almost too excitedly and nods.

After school, when we come to his house, his mother's in the kitchen cooking, which is strange considering the other day she told him that she was going to be gone for the week.

"Hey, boys" she says, still facing the stove. "You going outside?"

"Y...yes ma'am" I say stiffly.

"Calm down Kageyama, I'm not going to bite" she giggles. It sounds similar to Hinatas giggle. Maybe if he could talk he would sound like her.

We go outside and I throw him some tosses before we pick up Natsu.

It all happened like it did the other day, except I actually messaged my mum and told her where I was.

"Kageyama, are you dating Nii-chan?"

I almost choke on my own spit when Natsu asks me that and I start coughing hard.

Hinata didn't hear her obviously, so he just sort of looked at me weird and patted me on the back until I caught my breath.

"No, Natsu" I say finally, "No we're not"

I open the door and Natsu quickly goes to her room.

Hinata and I sit on his bed and he opens his laptop.

Before typing in a movie name, he opens a doc on the screen and types:

What did Natsu say?

I feel myself turn red and wave my hands around frantically saying, "Nothing! Nothing! She didn't say anything important!"

He turns his head and I suggest that we start before it gets too late.

Like clockwork however, the raven haired woman who I've come to fear opens the door slightly.

"Shou, a word?" she says.

I nudge Hinatas arm to get his attention and he goes with her again.

It takes all I have to resist following them, but ultimately I give into my curiosity.

I get off the bed and peer through the door to make sure they aren't looking.

They go into the living room and I carefully stand by the door just enough to hear them and see them slightly.

"I'm actually leaving today." His mum says, "Sorry for making you worry yesterday, but you both got yourselves to school on time so I'm not worrying"

I'm genuinely surprised, not that she isn't using JSL, but how casually she was talking to him.

She wasn't screaming like Natsu told me.
She was talking to him like a normal kid.
That was the most confusing part though.
Hinata wasn't a normal kid.

Hinata nods at her in a stiff way, like he was concerned or scared.

"Come on" Hinatas mum says, raising her voice a little. "What did I say about using your words?"

Using his words?
She's not teasing him.
Her voice is completely serious.

Hinata tries to mutter something, but it just comes out as gibberish.

His mothers expression changes drastically, and she bites her lip hard as if to avoid launching at him.

Hinata flinches at this.

She doesn't scream at him like I thought she would, although I can see that she's trying hard not to.

Instead, she aggressively squeezes his shoulders and says while smiling and in an overly forced, joyful voice, "Why do you got to mess everything up?"

I can't say I understood what she meant, but I found myself thinking back to what the guy said in the South Bayside.

Does she still hate you for what you did?

What exactly did he do?

Hinata struggles, but eventually finds a very soft, very struggled 'Sorry.'

That's the first time I've heard him say a proper word.
I thought I'd be happy to hear his voice for the first time, but his word was hurt and forced and it almost made me sad.

His mum leaves and Hinata walks towards the room. I quickly run to his room and pounce on his bed like nothing had happened.

"Everything ok?" I say when he walks in, happy that he can't hear my concerned, shaking voice.

He smiled and nods, and looks completely normal, like he hadn't just been told by his own mother that he 'messes everything up' whatever that means.

We watch a movie and I go home, just like I had the other day.

I couldn't help but worry about him, but there's nothing I can do now.