Chapter 20 - Building Bridges

Beca was on her way home after school just thinking about today. After her meeting with Mr. Harris, she went to speak to both Mrs. Smith and Miss. Johnson and that went a lot longer than she thought it was going to be. She had a lesson with Chloe, but that was music and Beca wanted to talk to Chloe, just not in a class so she sat there with her headphones in working on her music assignment that she hadn't started. When it came to her lunch, she just asked her teacher to go to the music room so that she could work on her music. She didn't talk to any of her friends, she thought they all hated her.

Beca's mum had a meeting with Mr. Harris after school so Beca was on her own when she got in. Jordan couldn't get to school until half two so that left Beca on her own when school finished at three. She didn't know how long they were going to be talking.

Just as Beca was about to make a sandwich as she didn't eat at school today her phoned chimed.

Red (15:31) – If you don't want to talk to me, that's ok. I just wanted to know how you are. I saw Jordan heading to the principal's office. You don't have to reply but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry about what happened in the hospital and everything else after that. I wanted to talk to you today, but I just didn't know if you wanted to talk to me or not, so I just left you alone. I still care Becs, I care about you a lot. If you want to talk or meet up, then let me know. – Chloe x

Beca read the text message over and over again in her head. She would rather talk to Chloe face to face then message her.

Did you fancy meeting at Starbuck's in an hour?

Chloe (15:40) – See you soon x

Beca was certain her mum would be back soon but just in case she wasn't she messaged her.

Hey Mum, not sure how long you're going to be, but I'm meeting Chloe in an hour at Starbucks. Love you x

Not long after Beca sent a message to her mum, she walked through the door.

"Beca?"

"Kitchen, Mum!" She called.

"Hey, you ok?"

Beca just shrugged and walked over to her mum to give her a hug.

"Come on, let's talk"

"How was school?"

"It was ok, quiet but ok. I spoke to Mrs. Smith and Miss. Johnson after having spoken to Mr. Harris for a long time. Then at lunch I just sat in the music room as there was a music piece we got given to look at last week and we have to describe how it makes us feel that's due next week, so at lunch I just worked on that"

"Did you talk to Chloe, or your friends? I saw her as I went to talk to Mr. Harris"

"No, I did send you a text, but you were obviously driving. I'm meeting Chloe at half four at Starbucks. I didn't know how to talk to her at school, so I just left her and everyone else alone"

"Ok, well Mr. Harris spoke to me about your English and how he's going to help and he's also going to contact your old school tomorrow about Aubrey. He also said that you were confronted by her last week and that you had an argument with her. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want you to worry, you're so busy with work and everything else, I didn't want to burden you with my problems. I wanted to deal with it myself"

"Becs, I'm your mother, you need to talk to me. Don't deal with problems yourself, ok? If you have a problem, then you and I will face it head on together. If there are any more problems at school, you message me and talk to Mr. Harris. Next time, please don't deal with it yourself, last time that happened you broke your wrist"