Chapter 1

Mikal was halfway through an unknown town when she stumbled upon what appeared to be a market square. Her feet were bare, save for the thin coating of caked mud on the surface.  Her ash gray cloak was weighed down, not only by the weight of the world on her shoulders, but by the thick muddy clay and dried blood that was not her own.  She didn't kill anybody, per se, but at this point in her life she might as well have.  The truth of the matter is that it was borrowed from a kind elderly man a few towns away, who albeit was beaten nearly to death during a heavy rainstorm.  As thanks for protecting him, he gave Mikal his tattered cloak since she didn't have one, and he wouldn't take no for an answer.  

This town was more lively than the few she occasionally visited, and she hated it.  More people meant more chances of kindness being bestowed to her, and she didn't want to risk feeling compassionate for those in return. The risk was too great, and she had already seen several of her friends perish before her eyes after she was cursed.  

Let's not think of them right now, Mikal warned herself as she bit the inside of her cheek.  Her gaze landed on a small table that held a gorgeous display of crystals like amethyst, citrine, rose quartz, and many others.  I could easily make my own, Mikal thought as she walked closer to the booth.  While that was true, she couldn't help but purchase a necklace that held a petite citrine pendant at its clasp.

"Thank you for your purchase." The old lady grinned and bowed her head with gratitude. She was incredibly frail with her wrinkled brown skin as dark as leather.  Her gray hair was tied in a neat bun behind her head, or at least, the neatest she could make with what little hair she had left.  Her movements were shaky as she untied the jewelry from the stand and took the money from her customers.  Her cracked hands handed the necklace to Mikal.  "You're new around here, aren't ya?" The woman questioned, "Are you here to visit someone, or perhaps on your way to Hargeon?"

"Neither," Mikal answered honestly as she tied the cord around her neck. "I'm just going wherever the wind takes me, I suppose."

"I see! In that case, I think you should stay awhile here.  It's a lovely town, always bustling with folks and their kids. There's a large park a few blocks down that way," she points in the direction behind Mikal, "and even though its a public place, its a nice place to rest. No crazy tourists or kids bustling about."

"I see." Mikal smiled and pretended to take the lady's advice. It's not like the woman was annoying, but she would rather leave this place as soon as possible.  Too many risks to hurt someone.  It was better for Mikal to remain alone and unbothered in a quiet place.

The lady was still chatting away about restaurants and stores to visit when she suddenly interrupts herself. "Young lady, regardless of where you decide to go next, you better get yourself some shoes!"

"Huh?" Mikal was abruptly dragged out of her self-loathing thoughts as she realized the woman was staring right at her. "Oh...right. I'll do that. Where's the nearest shop?"

"Go down that street and take a right, should be a store on the corner with good shoes and some good prices too. Be careful now, young lady."

"Thank you." Mikal bowed respectfully and took her leave.  She began to walk aimlessly again, though she was more inclined to walk down the less busy streets.  The truth of the matter was that she liked the old woman.  She didn't want to end the conversation deep down in her heart. It had been some time since she was able to have a conversation that took the doom-and-gloom feeling away.  

For the past several years, all she knew was heartbreak.  What happiness she had created was snuffed out like the flame of a candle.  What friendships she made were strained and full of fear of the effects of the curse.  And, whatever love she found, ended through break up or severe injury.  She was homeless since the curse took effect, but that aspect didn't bother her. She enjoyed learning how to survive on her own and travelling to new places every week.  It was the pain she caused others that weighed on her mind, dragged her thoughts through the mud, and brought her soul to its knees in the depths of despair.