Chapter 14

Mikal was well enough to attend the closing party at the royal palace two days later. Sabertooth won the games thanks to Rogue, and ended up beating Fairy Tail by one point. She still regretted that she was unable to watch Rogue fight, but she figured it was for the best after hearing Natsu's findings related to her curse. 

She, Yukino, and several Fairy Tail mages were in a large dressing room before the party.  "Do I have to wear heels?" Mikal whined as she stared at the stilettoes presented to her by Lucy.

"Aw come on, these go great with your dress!"  Her lower lip pouted as she eyed the shoes. "Do you not like heels?"

"Not at all."

"Here, you can try these on." Erza placed a pair of flats in Mikal's hands. "Heels are not for everyone, so I take it upon myself to wear those shoes. Lucy." She snatched the shoes from Lucy's grasp with stars practically dancing in her eyes.

"Uh, okay." Lucy nervously scratched the back of her head, and didn't argue with her. "Anyway, your name is Mikal, right?  Are you sure you're well enough to come with us?"

"Yes, thank you."

"We'll all be nearby in case anything happens," Yukino approached the two with a smile. "We still have no idea where Josie is, so we'll be keeping an eye out."

"No one's found her yet?!" Lucy gasped. "I really hope she doesn't try anything else, but Fairy Tail will back you up if she does!"

"Thank you!" Yukino hugged Lucy. "I'm so grateful.  You are all such great friends!"

Mikal watched their interaction and felt her chest tighten. Will I ever get to be like this with Sabertooth?  To hug, to hold hands, to high-five them?  Mikal excused herself and walked into the bathroom. 

No one was currently in the restroom, so she took the opportunity to stare into the mirror.  "This scar..." her fingers grazed against the healed wound on her neck.  Her skin was still tender from the attack, but other than that she was fine.  Mikal pulled a drawer open from beneath the bathroom counter and grabbed a pair of scissors. Her hair was already done in an up-do and her makeup was still fresh, but her and several other mages weren't dressed yet. "If I just-"

Her fingers unpin her hair, and it falls past her shoulders. Snip. Snip snip. Snip.  Long strands of her hair fell to the tile floor.  She sloppily lobbed it just above her shoulders, and quickly cleaned up the mess on the floor. 

"Hey Mik-" Yukino froze when she saw Mikal's hair. She clasped her hands around her mouth. "What have you-?"

"I cut it." Mikal shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal. 

"No no no, this won't do." Yukino ran out of the bathroom and came back several seconds later, this time with Lucy at her side. 

"Oh!  If you wanted to cut your hair, you could've just said so!" Lucy laughed and pulled out one of her zodiac keys. "Open, gate of the crab; Cancer!"

A celestial spirit with six crab legs protruding from his back appeared in front of Lucy. "What's shakin', baby?" He greeted in a cool voice. 

"Can you even Mikal's hair out a bit?" 

"Comin' right up, baby." 

Mikal didn't have a chance to move before the spirit whirled around her. Before she could even object, he had cut her hair and faced her towards the mirror. "W-What?" She stared at her hair. Her choppy haircut was now lightly curled, and her strands were layered and evenly trimmed. "Um...thank you."

"It's no problem, baby." The being disappeared with a satisfied nod. 

Sting and Rogue were toasting to the Games with Natsu and Gajeel when the ladies finally joined the party in the ballroom.  There was a small ruckus where they had entered, presumably because the women of other guilds were greeting them with things like, "Aww, you're so cute!" and "Wow, where did you get that dress?!"