Chapter 16

Mikal was getting some fresh air out on the back balcony of the Sabertooth guildhall around ten that night.  The guild was holding their own party celebrating their winning of the Grand Magic Games, and there was a lot of alcohol being passed around.  Most of the tigers were downright drunk, but a few members remained either sober or slightly buzzed.  Mikal was one of the very few who weren't drinking.

A sigh escaped her lips as she stared at the new moon overhead and recalled her final encounter with Josie.  "Kylo, if you set us up to reconcile, you'll be getting a mouthful from me once I die," she chuckled lightly to herself.

"What's this about dying?"  A warm cloth draped over her shoulders.  She looked up to find Rogue had placed his cloak over her, and he leaned over the wooden rail in front of them.

"Just some light banter with Kylo."

"I see."  He nodded and stared at the moon with a faint hint of nostalgia in his eyes.  A small silence passed between them as they sized each other up, wondering what to talk about.

"So Natsu told you?"

"Why didn't you tell us?"

The pair gaped at the other when they moved to simultaneously break the silence.  "Er, yeah. He came looking for you once we got back to the guild.  I guess he wanted to talk some sense into you, but he ended up telling us."  Rogue awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh."

"I pressured him into it, though."

"I was afraid to tell you all." Mikal looked down at her slightly-shaky hands.  "You're the kind of people that do anything for their friends.  I was afraid that if I told you, you'd take matters into your own hands even if I protested."

"Well, you're right about that."  A warm light glistened in his eyes when he thought about it.  I would risk my life for you, after all.

"You're thinking something stupid, aren't you?"

"What makes you say that?"

"The stupid look on your face."  Mikal held back a smile at their exchange.  Another silence passes between them until she decided to break the news.  "I'm going to be leaving a few days early."

"What?"

"I'll be leaving early. I don't want to stick around for much longer."

"Don't you want to break the curse?"

"Not if it risks putting another person's life in danger.  I mean, you saw what it did to you, and we weren't even as close as we are now."

"Mikal-"

"I...care about you. A lot. I don't want you to suffer because of me."

"And you think leaving won't hurt me?"  

The sadness in his voice caused Mikal to look up.  "This isn't up for negotiation."  When Rogue didn't respond, she let out a frustrated growl and raked her hand through her hair.  "I care about you, dammit! This is for your own good! I can't let the same thing happen twice, especially now, because I-because I-"

"You...?"

"I-It's nothing."

"I'm fairly confident in my feelings for you."

"What?" Mikal's eyes widened and she took a small step back.  Her cheeks suddenly grew hot at the sudden assertive tone.

"So think of it as my choice to make.  And if it fails, then you won't have to blame yourself because I chose to try."