Chapter 15

Mikal had managed to slip away from the group when she could see the guildhall down the street.  She turned down an alleyway and proceeded to run to the edge of town in which the training field was located.  Instead of taking the path to the field, however, she neglected the right turn on the trail and stomped through the brush.

She wasn't sure how long she had been walking since she left the trail, but soon she was being bombarded by gnats and fruit flies.  These only mean one thing, she thought as she swatted them away.  Water.  Mikal scanned her surroundings and followed suit in the direction the moss on the trees were facing.  Soon enough, she found herself at a small, weak creek.  She took the opportunity to sit at the water's edge and drink some of the water after catching it in the palms of her hands.

She was slightly panting from the uphill climb to her current position, but her heart was beating for a different reason entirely.  "What the hell am I doing?" She sighed and stared absently at her wet hands.  Sure, she was going to leave the guild, but she only meant to run off into the woods so she could think.  "I love him, and I think he may love me, too.  That means the curse could be broken."  Her words were spoken with such certainty that it surprised her.  Had she ever made a statement so mature and fearless?

Mikal thought to herself as she absently stroked a marbled stone with her fingertips.  Hurting him emotionally isn't the way to go.  I'll just feel more awful about it than if I were to tell him the truth.

"You might be onto something, you know," Yukino appeared from behind a tree and slowly walked over to Mikal's side.

"You caught me leaving?" Mikal's head tilted to the side. I made sure I wasn't followed.  

"Hm," her friend smirked thoughtfully, and though Mikal eyed her with suspicion, she saw no ill intent behind Yukino's eyes.  "The way Rogue almost lost control of his rage when you were attacked proved a lot to me."

"I guess you're right."  Mikal gripped the stone in her hand tighter, and slowly rose to her feet. This power isn't Yukino's.  This isn't Yukino.

"ALRIGHT! WHERE THE HELL IS SHE?!"  Natsu kicked down Sabertooth's doors, disrupting Rogue and Sting's exchange.

"What the hell, Natsu!"  Sting grabbed his shirt collar and growled.  "You better have the money to pay for the repairs, dingus!"

"Where is Mikal?" Natsu pushed back against the white dragon slayer and surveyed his surroundings.  "I need to talk to her."

"Don't we all."  Rogue's quiet voice caught Natsu's attention.

"Well? Where is she?"

"She took off.  Probably wanted to be alone." Sting turned back to Natsu.  "She's been down in the dumps lately."

"No thanks to you," Rogue finally spun around and glared the fire dragon slayer. 

"The hell did I do?"

"What did you and Gray tell her during the Games?"  He slowly stood from his seat and stalked over.

The sudden question was enough to stop Natsu's yelling.  "Uh?" He stilled, and looked between the twin dragons.  "So she still hasn't told you yet?"

"Tell us WHAT?" Rogue's rage got the better of him, and in the blink of an eye he had a tight grip on Natsu's shoulder and a fist ready in the air.

"First master had an idea on how to break the curse."

"Get the hell away from her!" Another voice rang out through the trees, and Mikal locked eyes with Rogue's a several yards away.  His clothes were disheveled and his breathing was uneven, even frantic.  "Mikal, stay away from her.  That's not Yukino."