Graduation Day

There I was in a uncomfortable metal chair surrounded by my classmates. The bright sun beamed in the sky making me squint. 

I looked into the football stands where parents held signs and cardboard cut outs of their kid's faces. 

The football field was a sea of red cap and gowns. Today is supposed to be one of the best days of my life, I've been looking forward to this moment for so long but here I am with a dull feeling of regret. 

I looked down in my lap where my diploma rested. All my years of education and this was all I had to show for. 

"God this is crazy, we really did that." Lexi cheerfully whispered to me. 

"Yeah, no kidding." I tried my best to match her glee.

In a few hours I'll be leaving the city limits and tasting freedom, which should be the only thing on my mind but as the dean of students gave his monotone speech, the only thing on my mind was Addie.

I can't imagine what I'd do with myself if I left without knowing what love could be with someone. Maybe I let Addie go too quickly, I never really got to know her maybe. How can I just leave the one person I've connected with. I think I've accepted that in a way I felt my high when we were in the bathroom, I want to feel that again. 

There was an eruption of cheers around me, I blinked a few times to escape my trance of thoughts. Everyone clapped and smiled, that was it. I had graduated high school. I thought i'd feel different, better even but I feel the same as I did last night and the night before.

I don't want to waste time taking pictures with Kendall or any of the them, I just want to leave. And thats what I did, I walked to my car without looking back at the high school football field, the one where I sprained my ankle during gym class. I refrained from peering at the giant oak tree where I had my first kiss under, with a boy of course. Thanks to the one and only Collin Reids, 9th grade was when I knew I wasn't into dudes.  

I drove past the small local businesses on my way home. I could see a few grey clouds forming in the distance which made me step on the gas a little harder, I didn't want to be stuck in a rainstorm for the drive to Cincinnati.

I shoved the last cardboard box into my car and slammed the trunk shut. I felt a few droplets on my arm which made me hurry into my car. 

I turned the key in the ignition and prepared to put my car in drive. I could see my mom and dad opening the front door and walking towards me. 

I rolled down my window and prepared to hear their goodbyes. 

"You forgot your hoodie." She handed me the grey Ohio State piece that I had forgot to take out of the laundry room.

"Oh yeah, thanks." I pursed my lips and nodded while taking the soft cloth in my hand. I watched as the two of them awkwardly stood there.

"Well drive safe, Hailey." My dad cleared his throat and palmed the hood of my car as a way to bring this to a close.

I waited for my mom to say something but I could tell she wasn't going to humor me. I pulled out of the driveway and drove with my eyes glued to the road. Rain smacked my windshield all the way to the city limits.

I spotted the green sign with white letters that read 'Now Leaving Riverside, Come Back Soon.' I breathed in slowly and exhaled.

Something inside of me made me slow the car down just inches before I crossed the line. A voice inside of my head told me to put my foot on the gas but another voice told me to pop a U-turn.

 I looked down at the passenger seat where I had tossed Addie's hoodie. I ran my fingers over the neat red and white stitching. It smelt like vanilla and roses, it smelt like Addie.

I dropped it on my lap and stepped on the gas.