|003

Max and I ride into school, automatically moving smoothly on our skateboards towards our lockers, which are thankfully next to each other.

"Hey, should we go trick or treating this year?" I ask as we ride down one of the hallways.

"If you want to." my sister shrugs and we turn to another hallway. We ride by two boys from our class. Max doesn't even seem to notice them, but I give them a smile and a small wave. We continue to ride down to our lockers and grab our skateboards, putting them inside and picking a few books for the next lessons.

"Maybe we could... I don't know. Go to the diner after school to get something?" I suggest and my sister smiles.

"Sounds good," Max says and we close our lockers, walking to our first class.

-

The bell rings, my sister and I walk to our lockers once more.

"I desperately want a milkshake right now," I say with a groan and Max laughs.

"Just wait a little longer." she smiles and puts her books into her locker, me already closing mine.

"I want to go now—" I cut myself off, seeing the two boys from our class.

"Hi, Maddie, Max. I'm Dustin and thi-this is..." the curly-haired boy trails off. I can already see the confused expression on my sister's face.

"Lucas," the dark-toned boy completes nervously.

"Yeah, we know," I say and fold my arms.

"The stalkers," Max and I finish at the same time. Lucas stutters on his words a bit.

"Actually, we weren't... stalking you," he tries to say.

"No, we... we were just concerned because you're-you're new and all," Dustin stutters out.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, for your safety!" Lucas adds.

"Mhm, there-there are a lot of bullies here," Dustin agrees.

"So many bullies it's-it's-it's crazy," Lucas says and I raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah," Dustin adds.

"Is that why you're wearing proton packs?" Max asks and I quietly chuckle.

"Well, these don't actually work, but!" Dustin starts and pulls it to his side. "I do have this handy dandy little trap here. And look it even opens and closes. L-L-Look," he says and presses a button, making the 'trap' open. He chuckles a bit.

"Cool, right?" he asks with excitement, but Max shows no emotion, while I just look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"No? Okay, but, um, so... We-We were talking last night and... you're new here, so you probably don't have any friends to take you trick or treating!" Dustin says and I spot Lucas' awkward smile.

"And we're scared of bullies, right?" I ask and Dustin smiles brightly.

"Yeah, exactly! So we-we were thinking, that it would be okay if you come with us!" Dustin states.

"It'd be okay?" Max asks.

"Yeah. Our Party's a democracy and the majority voted you could come," Dustin agrees.

"I didn't realize it was such an honor to go trick or treating with you!" Max says, I can hear the sarcasm in her voice.

"Yeah, I mean, we know where to get the full-sized candy bars. We figured you'd want in." Dustin smiles.

"That's presumptuous of you." Max glares at the ground for a second. The boys just stare, not knowing what it means.

"Yeah, totally!" Dustin just agrees.

"Ah, so, um... you'll come?" he asks, smiling at me. Max just rolls her eyes, closes her locker, and walks away.

"Um..." I stare at her as she leaves.

"I guess we'll be there," I say to the two boys.

"Great! We're meeting on Maple Street at seven." Dustin smiles.

"Okay, I'll make us be there at seven on the dot." I smirk and walk after my sister.
As we leave the building, we ride towards Billy's parked car.

"Oh, come on! It might be fun!" I say to my sister.

"You really wanna go with the stalkers?" she asks me in confusion.

"We're new, everyone's a stalker in some way right now," I reply, making her sigh in defeat.

"Fine, whatever. I'll go," she says and I smile. We stop by Billy's car, grabbing our skateboards. We walk towards the doors of the car.

"You're late again," Billy says and I quietly sigh.

"Yeah, we had to catch up on homework," I say and put my skateboard in the back seat.

"Jesus, I don't care!" he states and I turn to him.

"You're late again and you're skating home, do you hear me?" he says and I exchange looks with Max. We sit in the car anyway.
While Billy drives us home, I start looking through the science book that I kept in my backpack.

"God, this place is such a shit hole," Billy mutters, but I act like I don't hear him, continuing to read the book.

"It's not that bad," Max says and I look at them. Please, not another fight.

"No?" Billy looks at her and back at the road. He opens our windows all the way down. He breathes in.

"Do you smell that, girls? That's actually shit. Cow shit," he says, pinching his nose, so he doesn't have to smell it.

"I don't see any cows," Max states, closing the windows again. I just sit there, quiet.

"Clearly, you haven't met the high school girls," Billy says and I sink into my seat.

"So what, you girls like it here now?" he asks.

"No!" Max replies, wanting this to be over.

"Then why are you defending it," Billy says, his anger building up.

"I'm not." she turns to him.

"Sure sounds like it," he exclaims and I sit straight up again.

"What about you, Madeline? Do you like it here?" he asks me and I clear my throat.

"Uh, no. It's just that we're stuck here, so..." I trail off.

"Uhm, you're right. We're stuck here," he says, turning towards us.

"And who's fault is that," he asks in disinterest.

"Yours," Max mutters. Fuck.

"What did you say?" he asks, getting more intense as the time goes by.

"Nothing," my sister says quietly.

"You say it's my fault?" he asks again.

"No! Of-Of course she didn't say that," I say, leaning on the front seat.

"You know who's fault it is, say it," he mutters.

"Max, Madeline. Say it," his voice gets a little louder.

"Say it!'' he screams at us, gaining more speed on the vehicle. Max and I look on the road in front of us, seeing Dustin, Lucas, and their friend, riding on their bikes.

"B-Billy, slow down," Max says.

"Oh, these your new friends?" he asks.

"No, I don't know them!" Max replies.

"Well I guess you won't care if I would hit them, huh? I get bonus points when I get them all in one go!" Billy states.

"Billy, stop. It's not funny!" I yell, genuinely scared of him, but he just adds onto the speed.

"Billy, come on, stop it! It's not funny!" Max yells, but nothing.

"Stop!" we both yell.

"Billy, stop it!" Max screams, taking the wheel and turning it to the side, just enough so we don't hit them. When we pass them, I turn towards the group, seeing their friend fall off of his bike.

"Yeah, that was a close one, huh?" he yells at me and my sister and laughs hysterically.