|015

I sit by the window next to Dustin, who's holding ice on Steve's head. Mike sits on the other side of Steve as Max drives and Lucas is in the passenger seat next to her.
As we ride, I see Steve slowly waking up. He looks towards Mike.

"Nancy?" Steve mutters and Mike turns to him in confusion. Steve turns again, trying to touch his face.

"Steve, don't touch it. No, no," I mutter and pull his hand away carefully.

"Hey, buddy." Dustin smiles.

"You did well, okay? You kicked his ass," I say towards the Harrington.

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas tells Max as he looks up from the map.

"What's... going on?" Steve asks when he notices Max in the driver's seat.

"Woah, Oh my God," he exclaims and I run my hand through his hair.

"No, no. Steve, it's fine," I say, trying my best for him not to panic.

"Steve, relax. She's driven before—"

"Yeah, in a parking lot!" Mike states, cutting Dustin off.

"That counts!" Lucas says, turning to us.

"Oh my God," Steve exclaims.

"They were gonna leave you behind—"

"What? I told you to get him into the car!" I look at Dustin as Max speeds up the car. Steve starts panicking, yelling to slow down.

"I told you he'd freak out," Mike says towards me and Dustin and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Shut it, Mike! No one is gonna care about that if we die in a car accident!" I yell, starting to panic also. I lean on the passenger seat in front of us.

"I swear to God that I love you, Max, but can you slow the fuck down!" I shout at my sister.

"Everybody, shut up! I'm trying to focus!" Max exclaims and I sit back again.

"Holy shit, we're gonna die," I mutter.

"Oh, wait. That's Mount Sinai, make a left," Lucas says and Max turns to him.

"What?" she asks.

"Make a left!" Lucas repeats and Max quickly turns the steering wheel, making everybody scream. Suddenly, she stops the car.

"I told you. Zoomer," Max says and walks out of the car.

"Wha- I swear to God, I should have driven the damn car," I state as Max, Lucas, Mike, and Dustin head out and to the trunk of the car, me helping Steve get out. He falls down and I help him up.

"Maddie, here," Lucas says as he hands me a pair of goggles, a bat, and what looks like a fire-proof coat.

"Thanks," I mutter and put on the coat and goggles.

"Hey, guys," Steve says as me and Mike head first to the hole with matches and gasoline.

"Hey! Hey, where do you think you're going?" he asks.

"What are you, deaf? Hello?" he continues and I roll my eyes.

"We're not going down there right now, I made myself clear!"

"Hey, there's no chance we're going down that hole, alright? This ends right now!" Steve states and Max and Lucas finally join us beside the hole.

"Steve! You're upset, I get it. But the bottom line is, a Party member requires assistance and it is our duty to provide that assistance," Dustin says to him as Max, Mike, and Lucas head down the tunnel. I turn to the two, walking towards them. I grab a bag and Steve's bat from the trunk of the car, handing it to Steve.

"You promised Nancy to keep us safe, so keep us safe," I state and he sighs, still grabbing the stuff. I slightly smile and we head to the tunnels too.
We pull down into one of the many tunnels, looking around.

"Holy shit," Steve mutters.

"This is insane," I state and turn to Mike, who has the map of the tunnels.

"Uh... Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's this way," Mike says as he starts walking, shining his flashlight down one of the sides of the tunnel.

"You're pretty sure or you're certain?" Dustin asks.

"I'm 100% sure, just follow me and you'll know," Mike replies and we start heading through the tunnel.

"Woah, woah, woah. Hey, hey, hey, hey. Hey. I don't think so, any of you little shits die down here, I'm getting the blame. Got it, dipshit?" Steve states and I turn to him.

"Steve, if we'd all die tonight, we already would, due to my sister's driving," I say.

"Hey!" Max shouts in disbelief.

"Whatever, from here on out, I'm leading the way. Come on, let's go!" Steve exclaims and we all follow after him.

"Come on," he repeats as we continue to walk.

"Hey, Maddie," Dustin says quietly, catching up beside me. I turn to him.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"I didn't tell you yet, but what you did to those Demodogs and Billy was really badass from you," he says and I smile.

"Thanks, Dustin," I state.

"Hey, a little hustle!" Steve exclaims and I roll my eyes, pulling Dustin further with me. We continue to walk, stopping at some point.

"God," Lucas mutters as we look around.

"What is this place?" Max asks.

"Guys, come on. Keep it moving," Steve says and we head after him again. Suddenly, I hear screaming behind me. I turn around, seeing Dustin fall onto the ground.

"Holy shit, Dustin!" I shout, running over to him as everyone does too.

"What happened, what happened?" Steve asks in concern.

"It's in my mouth! Some got on my mouth! Shit!" Dustin screams and starts coughing. He stops, looking up at us.

"I'm okay," he says.

"Are you serious?" Max asks in disbelief as I just roll my eyes at the Henderson boy.

"Very funny, man," Steve states and they continue walking, leaving me and Dustin behind.

"Really, Dustin?" I say and reach my hand for him to grab. He does, pulling himself back on his feet.

"I'm sorry, okay? How was I supposed to know what that was?" he states and I grab his hand, dragging him to get to the others. After a few minutes of walking, we finally get to a stop.

"Alright, Wheeler. I think we found your hub," Steve says as we all look around.

"Let's drench it," Mike concludes.