House

I really thought it would be the last I'd see Vic Fuentes after we finish lunch, but for some reason I find myself walking with him around town. It's like the thought of going back to our cars didn't even cross our minds. We just keep walking and talking and walking.

It feels surreal, to say the least. This town that I used to know like that back of my hand, that watched me born and grow up, barely felt like home anymore. I left for college and never once looked back. Of course I visited my parents and sister, but I didn't miss anything from this place, at least not while I was away. I don't know why this time it feels different. It must have to do with having Vic Fuentes by my side again.

After a while we end up walking towards the lake on the far side of the town. I'd really forgotten about this spot, but I'm happy it still looks as beautiful as I remember. When we reach the water I can't help it and snap a picture of the landscape with my phone. And I also take the chance to text my sister of my whereabouts.

"You still take pictures of everything?" Vic asks while I type out my message.

I chuckle lightly and press send. "Pretty much."

He's sitting on one of the big rocks and I sit beside him on another one.

"We used to come here all the time." He says looking out to the lake. "You remember?"

I smile knowingly. "This was literally our make-out spot."

He snorts and I laugh along. It's true, though. All we did here was kiss and mess around. No one really comes here during the day because of how far it is, and we definitely took that as an advantage. And we were teenagers. Of course we would find a place specifically to make out. You know, the wonders of being young.

"Right," Vic throws a rock down the lake. "How could I forget."

A brief moment of silence follows as we look out to the lake.

"I didn't think coming back would make me feel so old," I say finally. I find a stick on the ground and start pushing around rocks with it. "It's like you don't realize the passage of time until you see something from your past again."

Something or someone.

He keeps looking at the lake. "We're not that old, you know."

"But we are older."

He turns to look at me and I look up from the rocks.

"How come you're in town?" He asks.

"Came to visit my sister. She's pregnant."

Immediately his eyes spark up. "Really? That's awesome, congratulations Uncle."

I chuckle. "Thank you. She's like seven months along. Got married last year too."

"Wow," Vic ponders. "Little Kay is pregnant and married. Okay, you're right. We are old."

I laugh again. "And you? Why are you in town?"

His smile dies down slowly. "...That will be a downer for our lovely evening."

My stomach drops at his words and I frown. "What happened?"

He looks at me again and gives me a sad smile. "My mom got sick. It's cancer. I'm here to take care of her for a little while. I'm staying at her house for a bit. Also keeping it tidy until she comes back from the hospital."

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I say. I don't really know what to say. Vivian has cancer? That has to be the most awful thing to ever go through. I can't imagine how his family must be feeling. I remember Vivian as this full of life woman, always working hard for her family. She used to love me like a son as well. The memory warms my heart and also fills me with fear.

"That's alright," he dismisses me quickly. "She's a strong one, she will make it."

Of course he would think that. Vic was always so positive. I can't believe something like this could happen to someone like him or like her.

"She will make it," I assure him too and I feel the odd need to reach for his hand and squeeze it. Like I need to physically tell him it'll be okay, like I used to. But I can't do that. It'd be too weird.

"Well, before I start crying," Vic sighs and stands up, dusting off his jeans. "I have some boxes back in the house that I really need to move, would you like to come with me?"

I stand up too. I don't even think his request through. I don't let myself. It's like I'm working on autopilot and that's why I say "alright" in a heartbeat and we drive each to his childhood house.

I used to know this house like I knew my own. I basically spent most of my high school years here. This house saw our first kiss and literally all our firsts and so many other key moments of our relationship.

I guess things can't get any weirder now.

It's not that different like I expected. And even though there's lots of boxes laying around, inside it still feels cozy and warm. Just like I recall it.

"Why are you putting these things in boxes?" I can't help to question while looking into one full of colorful ceramics decorations.

"She asked me to clear up all these things, said it was cluttering the space." Comes Vic's reply from the kitchen. He returns to me with two glasses of water.

I take one and drink a few sips as I see Vic pushing some of the boxes towards the stairs. "So the thing is, I have to take all these to the attic."

I laugh. "Oh, so you want me to do the heavy job for you."

"Don't do it for me, do it for Momma." He smiles playfully and I roll my eyes.

"You play dirty, Fuentes."

He puts his hand on his chest. "Never."

So we end up carrying up box after box after box until only one is left and we carry that one together because it's the heaviest one. Once we are done Vic goes back to the living to get his phone and I stay behind, curious as to see how the house has changed or not. I'm surprised when I see Vic's younger brother's room striped bare except for the bed. I guess he took all his stuff when he moved out. Whenever that was. I used to be really close to him, but after everything I guess we were bound to lose touch.

I keep peaking at the different rooms of the house until I have no other choice but to go to the one I've been avoiding, Vic's room...

(A/n): little cliffhanger there, but the next chapter is coming soon! I just had to split it into two because it was getting too long. Hope you enjoy!!