33 | like a fire being fed wood

" A sky full of stars and he was staring at her

" A sky full of stars and he was staring at her."

- Atticus

✰✰✰

Speirs dismissed them all eventually and some men even ran off to the local bars already, searching for the closest drink they could get their hands on.

Catherine found herself jogging up the steps of the large Austrian house where the officers were currently housed, searching for Nixon. She knew he'd have Vat 69 nearly shooting out his ears, and that waiting behind a bunch of rowdy Easy Company men would not get her the drink any faster. She smoothly headed down the hall and then turned finding Nixon already sipping on a bottle, taking a satisfying sip from one with a sigh.

" I knew it," she said and shut the door quietly behind her before sliding onto his desk and looking at him.

" Knew what?" Nixon asked as he sat up from his chair, already slightly drunk.

" Vat 69, I knew you had some," she said and Nixon smirked.

" Here," he said and Catherine gleefully took a sweet, long sip of the drink.

" Thank you," she said with a quiet sigh, " this is amazing."

" Only the best," Nixon clarified and Catherine laughed lightly.

" You said it," she said with a smile.

" You ever think about life back home, Nix?" she asked him passing back the bottle.

" Well, with the war on, it hasn't exactly been the number one thing." he said.

" Let me guess, Vat 69 and keeping Dick in line?" she asked him and Nixon smirked.

" How'd you guess that?" he asked her.

" Lucky pick," she said with a smile. Nixon chuckled.

The bars that night were filled to the brim with paratroopers celebrating the one year anniversary of D-Day. And it was nice to really celebrate the anniversary and not have to think of anything else. No war, no grief, no fear, nothing. They could just celebrate.

Sure, a year ago, Catherine had been hauled half-way across Normandy by Gene, and they had taken out the German garrison, and Hazel had her first close up kill. It had all happened in one day - Hazel was determined not to dwell any longer on that portion of her life. It was behind her now.

As Hazel entered the very warm bar that night, she immediately felt the love that was surrounding the entire bar and the familiar feeling in general of family, a feeling of belonging. Hazel smiled, blushing and waving at people that called out to her and continued moving through the group to where she could get herself a drink. She got herself a Coke and then slowly turned around, leaning up against the bar table and looking out over the group. Everyone was happy. Happiness was such a good feeling, better than most feelings in the world.