38 | peace

" First keep peace with yourself, then you can also bring peace to others

" First keep peace with yourself, then you can also bring peace to others."

- Thomas a Kempis

✰✰✰

July brought upon warm weather which meant that any free time allotted, it was spent swimming in lake Zell Am See, where the warm air was sweet, sticking to your skin, the water lapped gently against the dock or the rocks up against the soil, the breeze made the leaves brush together in a way that reminded Hazel of home, and little birds fluttered about everywhere as the crickets sometimes chirped even during the day. The bright sunlight streamed down from above reflecting onto the glistening water, as the sky had to be the brightest blue many had ever seen.

Just to hear the wind in the trees again as the sun kissed Hazel's face was exactly what she felt she needed, especially now, just being able to lie there on the dock and feel the sun on her face, warming up her body, reminding her how wonderful it was to be warm. She'd never take it for granted again. She got nightmares occasionally from Bastogne, from the wound, but she didn't let that get to her. She had learned she was in control of herself and no one else was or would ever be in control of her being.

She had the power to not let those negative thoughts affect her.

" Figured you'd be here," a voice said and Hazel slowly sat up from where she lay in the sun on the dock, her head swimming a bit. She glanced over her shoulder and found Joe swaggering towards her, his Raybands glinting underneath the sun, his hair looking extra fluffy, a smirk on his face, PT shorts, and his OD top unbuttoned, without that stupid white shirt. Her cheeks were already changing colors as he approached.

" Hi," she said innocently and Joe slowly let himself settle down to sit beside her before looking over at her. She gently reached forward pulled the sunglasses up so she could really see his eyes, not just through the sunglasses. She smiled when she saw they were glowing underneath.

" I just wanted to see your eyes." she said and Joe smirked at her. He softly lent forward and pressed a soft kiss on her lips and her heart might've skipped a beat.

She was still getting used to the fact that kissing each other was okay. They'd been friends for so long, practically in love without the other knowing it for months, that kissing Joe still managed to make her heart race in surprise and excitement all over again.

But they'd talk about it before - their love was more than just a kiss to them.

But she did love when he would sneak a kiss or two with her. Joe gently pulled back and brushed at the hair that was in her face.

" Catherine said you'd be here," Joe said, " and so I didn't hesitate to pull on the swim trunks." Hazel giggled.

" Your PT bottoms?" she said with a shy grin.