PART TWO: SHE WHO UPHOLDS JUSTICE

"This honorable court of the Republic of the Philippines with the Honorable Judge Vincent Villar is now in session. All rise."

I bit my lower lip.

Gusto ko na mag back out!

"Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of the People of the Philippines versus Diana Cruz. Are the defense and the prosecution both ready?"

"Ready for the People, Your Honor," my co-prosecutor said.

Nang tingnan ko s'ya, isang pamilyar na pigura ang nakita ko; average height, long brown hair, and her usual smile.

And below the prosecution tag was her name.

'Prosecutor Aubrielle Baxter'

Aaaaah, gusto ko na umalis!

"Ready for the defense, Your Honor," a familiar voice also said.

Tiningnan ko ito nang masama.

Bakit napaka kapal ng mukha n'yang magpakita ngayon?!

"Will the clerk please swear in the jury?" the judge said.

The clerk stoop up.

"Will the jury please stand and raise your right hand."

When everyone stood up, he cleared his throat.

"Do each of you swear that you will fairly try the case before this court, and that you will return a true verdict according to the evidence and the instructions of the court, so help you, God? Please say I do."

"I do," everyone of them said.

"You may be seated," the clerk then said.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury," the judge started. "This case involves the disappearance of the Magnificent Diamond and Emerald Necklace amounting to $4.1 million or 201,023,000 pesos of Mrs. Ella Reyes. In this case, Mrs. Ella Reyes is the plaintiff and Mrs. Diana Cruz, living the same area as the plaintiff, is the defendant. Prosecution, would you like to start the opening statement?"

Wala akong naririnig kung hindi ang tibok ng puso ko. Kung dahil ba sa galit o ano, hindi ko na alam.

"Prosecution?"

Bakit parang wala lang sa kanya? Bakit parang mas blooming pa s'ya?

Ilang buwan n'ya kong ghinost nang hindi sinasabi dahilan tapos ngayon magpapakita s'ya?

AT SA KORTE PA?!

"Prosecution?"

"Yes, Your Honor."

Halos mapatalon ako sa gulat nang bigla akong kurutin ng katabi ko.

At doon lang pumasok sa 'kin na nasa korte nga pala ako.

"Y-Yes, Your Honor," I said, finally standing up.

Neska, umayos ka!

Nang tumayo ako ay nagtama ang tingin namin. Napa-ngisi pa ang hayop.

"Ang kapal ng mukha."

My eyes grew bigger when that words echoed in the whole court room.

Nakatapat nga pala sa 'kin ang mic! Grrrr!

Pilit akong ngumiti at nag peace sign.

"Mic test lang po," I said. "S-So, good afternoon, hehe."

I faked a laugh and it was awkward. Everyone was serious.

"A-Anyway," I said. "The evidence in this case will prove that on Monday, August 10, the accused broke the window of the victim's bedroom to steal her jewelries amounting to 200 million pesos. The accused has a history of stealing things from the victim and was even caught in act countless times. The evidence the prosecution will present will prove that the accused is guilty as charged."