Chapter 23: Dinner

Mamma's special recipe lasagne was ready for half 6. I had taken a break earlier to get changed into jeans and a nice top, just keeping my slippers on.

It's currently 6:45 and I'm mentally cursing myself for not giving Jaxon an earlier arrival time. I can't imagine what it would be like if they met in the hall. I dread to think what would happen, It'll be safer if I'm there to prevent anything too bad.

And then, as if my wishes were granted, the doorbell goes. Thank god.

Opening the door, a blank faced Jaxon stands in front of me, wearing one of his work suits. Great, he's practically radiating power off of him. This is definitely going to be one tense dinner.

I step back opening the door wider for him. He passes me and makes his way over to the couch.

"I'm still not sure about this Alejandra", He says firmly. The use of my actual name telling me that he really isn't happy about this. I just sigh,

"Look I don't really want to do this either but I'm doing it for us. This is the only way we can continue being together for now without my father knowing." He just scoffs at that.

"We wouldn't have to do this if you didn't tell your little bodyguard about us. He would never have known otherwise." My eyebrows shoot up at that. How dare he, it was quite literally the only option I could see.

"Right Jaxon, your either going to prove to me that you want us to work and show a united front against Gabriel during this dinner, Or you can walk out of that door right now and forget I exist."

"The options yours."

He just sighs staring at me in the eyes for a few seconds before leaning in and pressing his lips to my head.

"Thats the last thing I'd ever want to do." He whispers.

I nod, "Good, Now come on we can't be in a bad mood with each other tonight. We have to convince Gabriel that were serious about us."

"I know Princess. I know, I'm sorry."

We're interrupted when the doorbell rings again.

"Ok, just stay in here I'll be right back. Oh, and be good." I peck him on the lips quickly before making my way back to the door.

Opening it, Gabriel stands there also in his suit with a stern look on his face. "Miss Alejandra" He nods in greeting to me.

"Come on in Gabriel" I stand to the side.

"Follow me" I begin walking over to the living room, deep breaths A. This is it.

As we walk in Jaxon stands up. They stare each other for a minute, leaving me in an uncomfortable silence.  Then finally Gabriel breaks it by holding his hand out.

Jaxon takes it and they shake hands. Quite firmly might I add.

"Gabriel Ricci"

"Jaxon Macaluso"

They nod at each other, the tense atmosphere still present.

Ok, I think its time to break it. "We should go through to the dinner table, I just need to get the food from the oven" They nod and follow me as I walk.

Thankfully the kitchen and dining area are attached so that I don't need to leave them alone.

"Do you need help bringing stuff to the table." Jaxon asks, ah I see you, showing that you have manners.

"Yes please can you grab the sides on the worktop." I made some salad and garlic bread to go with dinner.

He nods and grabs the plates setting them at the table.