Prologue

"Tell me the truth and we don't have to do all this!" He paces around in front of me, till his movements come to a halt - now directly in front of me. His eyes bore into mine, as he studies every inch of my face.

I inhale a sharp breath and hold his gaze. "I am telling the truth!   I. Don't. Know." Now in a dungeon which ensures my death.
The cuffs grip in my hand in an iron hold and I know no matter how much I try to break free of them, it will only be a futile move in the end. I feel suffocated in these stone walls behind the iron rods that twinkle in the darkness.

"Then I guess that's it then," he huffs and glances at the guards. "Take her. Tomorrow the Count will read her mind." He turns away without giving me a second glance. Unbelievable.

"Why won't you trust me?" I whisper, my voice cracking and laced with hurt. The guards appear on either side of me, tugging my arms as they forcefully drag me over to the cells "I thought you loved me!"

Just as we turn to the corner, he turns around to face me with his fists clenched beside him. He motions for the guards to pause their movements; a silent command they instantly obey.  "I never loved you," he forces out before rushing out of my view. My entire body freezes in shock as my jaw drops open.

I'm pulled back into reality once the guards resume their movements, dragging me over to the cell. The guards notice my acceptance of defeat as they throw me into the cell. I fall onto the cold hard ground, scraping my knee in the process. The burning sensation kicks in as the piercing cut opens up, allowing the small trail of blood to form against my knee.  They probably think I gave up once I heard him saying those poorly constructed lies.

But little do they know that I won't forget this betrayal and I definitely am a hella good lie detector. And I know that he lied to me. But the major question is why.

Edited by xtranquilx