2. Welcome to Scarenville Highschool

Above is a cover of my book. Which I loved but changed it at the end. Wanted to share it with you guys. :)

Rose

Loud knocks echo through the furnished apartment, waking me up from a deep slumber.

Sitting up groggily, I rub my eyes and disentangle myself from the thin blue sheets to stand. A misty light pours through the windows, and I notice it's morning.

So much for a quick power nap.

Shaking my head in dismay, I shuffle towards the wooden door.

Opening the door, I find Amora standing there, her thin fist raised to knock again. After quickly scanning her figure, I notice she's dressed in an old tattered nightgown that trails far past her feet.

I let my eyes wander over her face and am immediately astonished by what I find. She looks younger. In astonishment, I place my hands over my eyes and rub them.

Could this really be the same lady I met yesterday? Surely not. That old crone was at least in her seventies with shockingly white hair and a very frail frame.

The bushy-tailed woman standing before me now is anything but that. Rich, luminous blonde hair is styled in a sophisticated bob, cascading just above her shoulders in loose waves. What really astonishes me are the fine lines highlighting her face. It's as though years of stress and troubles melted off overnight.

"Hurry, kiddo! School starts in 15 minutes," she announces.

Even her voice sounds more youthful, I note with disbelief.

She must have gone to a beauty parlor or something.

It's the only explanation for such a sudden transformation.

Focusing on her statement, my eyebrows furrow in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

She points to her watch and replies, "It's 7:45, and first impressions are important. Trust me; the faculty don't exactly appreciate late students."

"B-but, I haven't even told them I arrived yet!" I stammer and continue, "I planned to start school next week so that I could explore the town a bit more. This has to be a mistake!"

Before I could say anything else, Amora interrupts with a smile, "There's nothing to worry about, dear. You can tour the town later. I told them about your arrival, and they're expecting you today."

"But I didn't even get the chance to buy books or supplies. What if-"

"Oh, no! All you need is a bag. The school will provide all your textbooks. You don't have to worry about lunch, either! Everything is all taken care of." She interrupts me.

My mouth juts wide open, my jaw nearly hitting the ground in amazement.

How can you make decisions for me without acknowledging me?

"Now hurry and get ready! In the meantime, I'll make you some sandwiches for breakfast," she says.

Nodding in agreement, I move to close the door. Before the door can shut completely, I watch as she swiftly navigates the hallway.

Strange. I'm sure I saw Amora walking with a cane yesterday.

I saunter to the bathroom to prepare for the day that awaits me. Hot water scalds my skin as I step into the shower, and I stop to consider all the odd things that have happened since blowing into town.

I still can't believe Amora would overstep boundaries like that. Maintaining composure is one of the hardest things I've had to do. Below the surface, I'm still blistering with anger and shock.