11.Agents

Rose

Two strong knocks snap me from my deep thoughts. My head quickly spins to my right at the closed door.

Is it Damien? Amora? But I haven't been in here that long, can't I get a moment of peace to myself?

I struggle to get up from my messy bed and struggle more to make my way to the door. Yes, I still haven't cleaned up the mess. Once I open the door, my breath hitches and my heart almost reaches my throat. It's neither Amora nor Damien. It's the agents! They just happen to differ from the ones who attacked me.

  The two men stand incredibly tall, dressed in dark coloured suits. Both look identical with short blonde hair and a similar jaw shape. And it's just my luck that I don't have any weapons with me.

They probably see my shock too and decide to speak first. "We apologize for last night's event on behalf of my colleagues, but we aren't here to harm you," the one on the right says and I pretend to ease up a bit. "This is Seth and I am Spike. We have come here to have a talk," Spike explains, the one on the right and I nod cautiously. One thing I learned from these past events is to never let my guard down.

I scan them suspiciously and find no weapons, nodding I then move out. Quietly closing my door I glance at them and shrug. "What? My room is a mess, thanks to your colleagues, let's talk outside."

***

"So...err Rose?" Seth asks while we are currently seated on the apartment roof in wooden chairs and tables. Since my room is still a mess the twins had decided to question me here. They had revealed that they were twins in the elevator which wasn’t surprising given their identical traits.

"Yes?" I ask while I eye the cup of tea seated at the table. You may never know what might really be in there, I think, and watch Seth skimming through a list.

"What evidence do you have that Jennet is only your stepmother and that you aren't a spy of hers?" Urgh, the same thing again.

"Well, you can do a background check on me and if I really was a spy of hers, I wouldn't have been having a talk with you."  I roll my eyes and reply sarcastically.

"Um, of course, but do you have any other proof?" Seth asks patiently.

"No," I reply and look at the skyline from here.

It's afternoon and even in all the mist, I can see a hint of orange, indicating that evening is nearing. I look at the cup again and gulp. My throat began to ache with thirst, causing me to glance at the cup of tea sitting in front of it.

I keep still, refusing to reach out for it. Either I am incredibly thirsty or these agents havd an ability to make people thirsty.

"Alright, kindly write your personal information here so we can accurately do a background check," Spike speaks and removes a small piece of paper and a black Parker pen from his pocket.

I take the objects and put the paper on the table and start writing. The idea of giving my personal information to an unknown private organization is pretty unnerving but not wanting to create more doubt, I provide my information.

I stop writing once I’m done, and Seth takes the papers from me. He neatly folds it up and places it into his pocket. "Ok, do you know any information about Jennet that might help give us an advantage?" My mind wanders to the dairy I had read and all the other bits of pieces of information I remember. But the idea of helping them without me knowing anything isn't pleasing.

"Perhaps, if you explain more on the 'advantage' part I might help you guys," I emphasize. At this Seth shifts, a bit in discomfort and I think I might be getting somewhere. I innocently look at Spike and see him glaring at me; he probably thought I am some kind of fool.