9.His Past

Well, I used to live in an orphanage with my two lousy brothers named Mark and Jake. My parents had dropped me off over there when I was really young, and soon so were my brothers. We always stuck together and had a lot of fun time in the small orphanage with the other kids. I was the oldest, with Jack a year younger than me, and Mark being three years younger.

When I turned thirteen, we got a notice that the nearby town's highschool wanted to give free education to all the orphanage kids. Many of us were excited to study in a high school and not by some 'always furious' teacher from our orphanage. I was totally fine with this, and so were my brothers. So when we were dropped off at the school, we were happy, even though it looked odd with those weird historic designs. Some circles and random horizontal lines but didn't care. And just like the curious kids we were, my brothers and I dashed through the school doors, excited to finally explore a real highschool.

Once we entered high school, our principal who was shockingly pale, greeted us but gave off odd vibes which no one noticed except me. But none of us really cared about that since everyone was hyped up to explore the school.

Only later, once we started regularly attending the school did we notice that some of us were going missing. It happened slowly at first, one kid in a week or two but the number slowly started increasing. Some of us had complained to our orphanage nannies too, but they all dismissed it.

They did return, eventually, but they all returned differently. My best friend Cason who returned after five days had completely changed. He stopped talking to me and his skin color turned into an ashen color, just like our principal.

Which was strange, since we always used to spend time outside and we're tan. The ones who were not kidnapped-like me- noticed this and tried complaining to the other orphanage teachers only to get turned down. We weren't even able to go outside Scarenville since it was very far away from any nearby cities. Devastated, I told my brothers not to attend school to keep them safe. I knew something was wrong with the nannies and the school, so I didn't take risks and turned extra cautious.

The next day, I hopped on the school bus to hell. This time there were only five of us left who weren't kidnapped yet and we were well aware of the situation. Stuck between the strangers who once used to be our friends. One of them was Cason's sister who was the same age as me, with her blonde braids and honey brown eyes. She looked anything rather than scared. Looking at her gave me some reassurance that I wasn't the only one, and I also knew very well that her older sister who was Cason's twin was also absent. Either she was kidnapped or stayed at the orphanage like my brothers. The bus rumbled and started moving forward. Anticipation pooled in my stomach. I was having some gut feeling that something big was going to happen today. And I was not wrong. When we reached the school we found it completely dark. No open windows and no lights. And in the cold weather with fog, it felt like a danger zone.

Turn away and run.

My mind screamed, but seeing Cason's sister Cassie just walking forward made me feel stupid. Until I heard her scream just as she entered the dark halls of the school. The other three with me ran, including me. Behind me, I later heard laughter, but that didn't stop me. I could hear that someone was running behind us, the sound of footsteps following was audible and just then I heard a thud and a scream. One down.

I forced my legs to run faster as tears brimmed in my eyes. I heard another blood-curdling scream from another kid. I am the only one left. At that moment I felt so hopeless as I was capable of seeing whoever was behind me now speeding up quickly. While I almost was slowing down as my legs began to ache. I tried my hardest to run, only to later get pushed to the ground with a man with sharp claws, as fangs dug into me. After that, everything turned dark.