6.Masquerade party

Rose

I look out of the window and gaze at the dark trees outlined by the moonlight. On either side of us are massive trees with huge branches twisting into various shapes. If I was alone I might have fainted due to the fear.

Oh, Damien, you better give me food.

A hand tugs on my arm, causing me to turn and face Damien. A small smile tugs on his lips as his eyes study my face. I instantly find myself returning the smile, keeping my mouth tightly shut.

Is he happy that I am going to the party with him? I frown and go back to watching outside the window again. After a moment I hear some mumbles. My gaze flickers over to Damien, and see him now perched up against the other end of the car, leaning against the window.
"Now there are some rules you need to follow once we reach there," he says, meeting my gaze.

"Do not talk to any of the other people over there. Stay with me always; I don't want you to get lost." He commands, staring hard at me. There is no room to argue so I silently nod my head, keeping my questions to myself.

Once we reach the masquerade party, my eyes widen in surprise at how big the party hall is. Candle lights fill up the hall, illuminating the atmosphere. Added light being provided by the large chandelier on top of the ceiling, shining brightly. Damien drags me through the crowd, as my eyes scan the area, taking everything in. In the corner stood a group of  people playing classical music, and in the middle, Vampires dance along with their partners.
As Damien and I move through the crowd, I see a pale man coming towards us without a partner. Strange.

They soon start talking while I blow a sigh, feeling left out. Halfway through the conversation, the man’s eyes trail over to meet mine. His eyes bore through me - almost as if he is staring directly through my soul. I gulp audibly and shuffle closer to Damien. Upon instinct, he grabs my arm and tugs me behind him in a protective manner. “What’s wrong?” he said to the man. "Nothing... It's just that I may have seen her somewhere I don't remember. Where did you meet her?”

Dude, excuse me? I just came here for the food!

"Scarenville highschool."

"Where have you come from?"  He asks me this time.
"Norway.”
I lower my gaze and tuck my head down nervously.

It is true after all, but maybe not the complete truth. I was born in Norway but I hadn’t been there in a while. Besides, the country name can’t expose much about my past. Damien raises his eyebrows at me in curiosity while the other vampire shrugs, shoving his hands into his pocket. “Oh well, I’ve never been there. Maybe I just met your doppelganger or something” he muttered to himself before walking away.

Damien tugs on my arm, causing me to look up and frown

"What?!"

Don't talk to me like that," he hisses. I hold back a snort and bite my lower lip.  "What you said wasn't the truth, is it? Twists... I like them but we will get back to that later." Then, without another word, we move towards the dance ball and start to dance, trying our level best to match the routine others are doing. While he dances elegantly, I struggle to keep up with him, continuosly tripping and stamping others foot.You see, I never went to a masquerade party so I wasn't that experienced in ball dances.

"We will probably start dinner in another few minutes and you are supposed to be sitting down next to my chair. No whining or anything.” He speaks lightly, ignoring my horrible dance. He then adjusts his tie and just as I was about to speak, he interrupts

"You will sit next to me while we have our little chat, there will be other people too and YOU will not talk to any of them... because all of them will probably waiting for a change to bite you."