1

A year ago today I joined Dauntless. It feels like no time has passed and yet everything is different now. I still vividly remember my anxiety but optimism that came from hearing my blood sizzle on the coals. That day forever changed my life and now the same action will change the lives of a new group of sixteen-year-olds. I know how anxious they must be. But I also know that it feels like a weight is lifted off your shoulders when you choose your faction. You no longer have to feel like a fraud masquerading around in the wrong clothes.

I have spent my year as a leader in training. I've learned all the ins and outs, dos and don'ts of the Dauntless. I've toughened up not wanting anyone to think they can push me over because I am only seventeen, even if I'll be 18 in two months. By no way am I as mean or scary as Eric can be though. I think I'm a halfway point between him and Four.

Jude and Ryan have been my best friends since initiation. Ryan was an Erudite transfer and Jude transferred from Candor. Jude got a job in the control room alongside Four. They usually had the same shift, and had become good friends. I find myself there in my free time to spend time with both of them. Ryan is out bettering the Dauntless image as an ambassador between the factions. Funny enough he spends a lot of time in Amity, the faction I transferred from. Every time he goes on a long trip there my mom and dad invite him to stay in my old room. He even gets along with my brother and sister.

This year I get to train the transfer initiates with Four. To say I am excited is an understatement. I'm hoping to help the initiates like Four helped me. Four figured out that I'm Divergent during training. Instead of turning me in and getting me killed he helped me. Now I want to be able to do the same. That's part of the reason I took the leadership position. I wanted to save myself, but also save other Divergents.

Over the past year I have mostly shadowed Grant, the leader who I will be replacing after this year's initiation. I'd like to say I've done some big dramatic things for Dauntless over the year but I haven't. Surprisingly it's been a lot of paperwork.

Since it is my first initiation as a leader Max is letting me be the one to welcome the new initiates on the roof. I stand by the net that catches the initiates with Four and Lauren, biding time until the new initiates show up.

"What faction do you think the first jumper is gonna be from?" I ask.

"Sure as hell not Amity," Lauren answers, "I don't think we'll ever see another Amity transfer as brave as you were."

"Not Dauntless they know they don't need to be the first jumper. Maybe Candor. They are always loud mouths who feel they have something to say," Four adds.

"I think maybe an Erudite trying to prove they don't need to question everything," I offer.

I look down at my watch. "I gotta head top side to scare some initiates. I'll meet you down here when I'm done," I say as I start to leave.

I walk towards the stairs to climb to the top of the building. I stand by the edge waiting for the train to arrive. I check my watch again tilting it to the right. I can see my reflection in the glass, noticing I haven't lost much of my tan since coming to Dauntless. Now that I am a leader I get to go outside whenever I want. Oftentimes I come up to the roof and sit in the sun for hours at a time. My purple hair is pulled into a ponytail. I absentmindedly tug on my earring.

I look up when I hear the sound of metal screeching and the train comes into sight. The first test for a Dauntless initiate is jumping onto the moving train. The second is jumping off of it. The third will be jumping off the roof. It's not uncommon to lose people between tasks. People get scared and don't jump on or off or they fall, either way they die or become factionless. The Dauntless members in the first few cars are the ones to jump from the train first. These are most likely family members of the sixteen-year old's who chose today or people who had the time and decided to go to the ceremony.