2

Once I am standing on solid ground Lauren, Four, and I lead the initiates down a narrow tunnel, the same one I was led down last year. I'm sure the stone walls and sloped ceilings make the initiates feel as if they are going underground. As we walk, Four tells me the names of the transfer initiates. I look over my shoulder trying to remember the names and the faces. We stop turning towards the group behind us. I see the Abnegation girl, who I now know is Tris, smack into the Erudite boy, Edward, in front of her. I have to stifle a laugh, as she rubs her nose.

"This is where we divide," Lauren says. "The Dauntless-born initiates are with me. I assume you don't need a tour of the place."

She smiles and beckons toward the Dauntless-born initiates. They break away from the group and dissolve into the shadows.

Most of the initiates are from Dauntless, so only nine people remain. Tris is the only Abnegation transfer. Sadly, there are no Amity transfers. Leaving the other eight from Erudite and Candor.

Four addresses the initiates next. "Most of the time I have worked in the control room, but for the next few weeks, Luna and I are your instructors," he says. "My name is Four."

Christina asks, "Four? Like the number?"

No surprise another Candor has a big mouth.

"Yes," Four says. "Is there a problem?"

"No," Christina squeaks out.

"Good. We're about to go into the Pit, which you will someday learn to love. It..." Four starts.

Christina snickers. "The Pit? Clever name."

This time I deal with the Candor. I walk up to her and lean my face close to hers. I narrow my eyes, and for a second just stare at her. "What's your name?" I ask quietly.

"Christina," she squeaks.

"Well, Christina, if I wanted to put up with Candor smart-mouths, I would have joined their faction," I hiss. "The first lesson you will learn from me is to keep your mouth shut. Got that?"

She nods. I walk back over to Four and we start toward the shadow at the end of the tunnel. The crowd of initiates moves on in silence.

"Nice job scaring the initiates," Four whispers.

"Couldn't let you have all the fun," I joke.

I can only imagine what that girl thinks of me, but I need every chance I can get to make these initiates know I am in charge and I am not to be messed with.

Four pushes a set of double doors open, and we walk into the Pit. I can see the eyes of the transfers go wide. I know they have never seen anything like this before. It can take a bit of getting used to all the people in the pit constantly shouting and messing around with one another.

"If you follow us," I say, "We'll show you the chasm." I wave everyone forward.

We lead them to the right side of the Pit. As we near the chasm I hear the familiar sound of the rushing water now below us. I can see many of the transfers looking over the side of the railing at the sharp rocks and river below.

"The chasm reminds us that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocy!" Four shouts.

"A daredevil jump off this ledge will end your life. It has happened before and it will happen again. You've been warned," I finish the infamous chasm speech. I can hear the initiates behind us talking about how incredible the chasm is.

Four and I then lead the group of initiates across the Pit toward the gaping hole in the wall that is the dining hall.  When we walk in, the Dauntless inside stand. They applaud. They stamp their feet. They shout. From the looks on their faces I don't think any of the transfers were expecting it. I see Tris and her friend Christina smiling. I look over to Peter and he once again has a grin on his face.