9

Today is the day before Visiting Day. I can't help but think back to my Visiting Day. Unlike the majority of people who transfer out of their faction I still get to see my mom. Being a leader I can pretty much make up any excuse I want to go out to Amity and visit. I woke up early this morning so I made my way to the training room early. I walk over towards one of the punching bags. I haven't done this in a year. I look to my side where Alina should be. I can feel myself starting to get upset. I do the only thing I can think to make myself feel better, I start kicking and punching the bag as hard as I physically can. The bag swings back and forth time and time again. I stop to take a break. Looking down at my hands they are red and my knuckles are split open.

"You punch harder than me," a voice says from behind me.

I swing around to see Peter standing there. "I punch harder than anyone in my initiate class too." Peter chuckles. "Why are you here so early?"

Peter steps closer to me. "Molly and Drew were being annoying. Saying I've changed since we transferred."

"Well, have you?" I ask.

"I guess I have. Someone once told me I wasn't going to get very far if people hate me."

"Wow what smart, beautiful, badass person told you that?" I joke.

"Just the youngest Dauntless leader," Peter says with a smirk.

"I do think you've changed, for the better." I step closer to him, looking into his eyes. "Now everyone hates Molly. I think maybe even Tris can stand you now," I joke.

Peter is about to say something, but is interrupted.

"What's going on here?" Eric asks.

"Peter asked me to help him with his technique," I lie.

"Every time we do something new my stance is wrong. I think I could perform even better if I can get it right," Peter says.

Thank god Peter can think on his feet. The sound of the door pulls Eric's attention away from us. The initiates are starting to wander in. Peter takes this opportunity to sneak away.

"Does someone have a thing for a certain initiate?" Eric teases.

"Why does that bother you?" I tease. Eric just scoffs. "Or would it only bother you if it were Four?"

"Just don't want you to get into trouble, that's all. Remember we waited until you were a full member before we hooked up. And you know I don't care about you and Four, but I do think you have competition on the front from the Stiff."

"You don't have to worry about me Eric. I'm a big girl, hell, I'm the youngest Dauntless leader," I remind him.

Eric smiles before walking away towards Four, to arrange the fights for today.

I look around and see Christina, Al, and Will, but no Tris. I go over to Christina,

"Hey, have you seen Tris?" I ask her.

"No," Christina tells me.

"Ok. Thanks."

I turn to walk away but Christina grabs my arm. "Thank you, for whatever you said to Peter. He has been way nicer to Tris, and to all of us lately."

"How do you know I had anything to do with it?" I question.

"Because you are the only person that can or will say anything to him," Will chimes in.

"When we were kids Peter would pick fights with people from other factions and then, when an adult came to break it up, he'd cry and make up some story about how the other kid started it. And of course, they believed him, because we were Candor and we couldn't lie. I used to think he was pure evil, now I just think Molly and Drew are," Christina says.