Chapter 28

*Anitha Pov*

"I will be back." He said placing his hand on my cheek and I nodded smiling.

However, when he started walking away from me, I felt worried thinking I will be alone with his mother right now.

Am I going to have another battle of words with her or should I just ignore no matter what she comments?

No matter what I still don't want to fight with her and it doesn't change the fact that she is his mother. Even if I don't like her at least I shouldn't be rude. I guess ignoring is better.

With that decision made, I finally controlled my breathing but felt her holding my hand in a hurry asking, "Does my son like you?"

I stared at her in shock while trying to understand what is she trying to ask me and nodded when she repeated the question.

"Really? This is not just some fallacy to overcome bad articles that were passed?" she asked and I continued to stare at her in shock.

"You know, Aunty?" I asked as I remember everyone saying she shouldn't know about the contract or any of this fake scheme that we fabricated because of those news articles.

"Of course! I know that he likes Shrishti but suddenly there were articles about you both and a statement from Vikranth's agency regarding how you both are engaged. I am not stupid you know and I know my son." She explained.

"Oh!" I whispered but she didn't leave my hand.

So even his mother knows about his feelings but he just assumed that no one knows unless he tells someone about it.

I don't know how will he react if he finds out that even Vikranth and his Mom know everything about his crush on Shrishti. What if even his Dad and other ones know except for Shrishti?

"He really likes you?" she stressed the question breaking my thoughts.

"Yes, Aunty! We both like each other." I replied and she smiled brightly.

"I was worried that you are using him to overcome those bad articles and so many other things being raised against you. But I am glad you both like each other." She said and her smile is actually scaring me.

"Don't you hate me, Aunty?" I asked without thinking twice.

"I don't hate you. I just want my son to be with someone he likes. I thought he missed that chance because of Vikranth's agency plan and you. And that is not the case anymore." She replied but I am still shocked by the things she is saying.

"But I am an orphan and my parents were not well off when they were alive too." I pointed out while trying to wake up from this dream.

"So what? If you enter our family, then you will no longer be an orphan. And none of us started at a high level. If not for Vikranth's father support, we would have continued to be a normal middle class and maybe even lower." She said while arranging my hair a bit that fell on my face.

"But you hate my friend Kanika." I pointed out while stepping back a little.

"I don't hate her. It's just she never accepted when I tried to know her and I stopped doing that long back. It's mutual. However, I crossed the line last time. I am sorry." She apologized honestly just like Prathap.

What is going on? I am going mad right now with the way she is talking. Here I was thinking she is someone who only cares about class and everything else but turns out she cares only about whom her son likes.