Part 13

"There are always a great many things to do in London, Mr Darcy. Of course, one does not often have an excuse to visit museums or listen to lectures or attend assemblies..." Mr Gardiner looked endearingly at his niece. "How fortunate, then, to have family visiting that encourage us to abandon normality for a little while!"

"Indeed." Darcy made some expression that might have been a smile and glanced towards the corner of the room, where Mary and Sally Egerton were speaking very animatedly with a third young lady Elizabeth understood to be Georgiana Darcy. She could not help but follow his gaze, reflecting on the likeness she perceived between brother and sister. They were not overly alike to look at but still, she thought she saw such a similarity between them that she would have deduced, even without introduction, that they were related.

"How long will your sister be with you in London, Mr Darcy?" Mrs Gardiner asked, drawing Darcy's attention back to their small quartet. Elizabeth listened but did not look away from Georgiana just yet. She might have been my sister, she realised, with a start, and allowed her eyes to roam the room, imagining another time, another life, when this might all have been hers.

"That is undecided at present." He grimaced. "I confess I was not entirely aware of her decision to travel, although, of course, I am delighted to be reunited with her."

"I am sure she is pleased to be here," Elizabeth said, observing the merry way Georgiana's eyes danced between her two companions. "She has been at Pemberley alone all this time?"

Darcy stiffened, and Lizzy realised, too late, that he must read criticism in her observation. She strove to soften her tone.

"I merely mean that she must have been lonely for companionship, for entertainment..."

"We do not all require crowds of strangers to be happy, Miss Elizabeth," Darcy remarked. His tone was so stark that at first, Lizzy thought he was angry with her, but when she looked at him she noticed the slight upturn of his lips, the amusement that registered beneath his habitual scowl.

"I imagine even crowds of those you know well can be a trial to some," she remarked, lightly, as she tilted her head to the side to indicate the noisy parlour, spilling over with guests and conversations.

Darcy grimaced.

"Indeed." He turned, reluctantly, from the Gardiners. "And I suppose I must meet my obligations as host and greet each guest." He hesitated, as if debating the wisdom of a certain action, before shaking his head, dismissing his doubts, and offering his arm to Elizabeth. "Would you care to accompany me?"

So stunned was she by this show of friendship that she did not respond straight away, and Darcy mistook her hesitation for reluctance.

"Or perhaps you prefer to remain with your aunt and uncle? Very well, I shall not disturb you."

"No!" Lizzy blurted out, fearing that this would be the only opportunity they were afforded all evening to rebuild the bridge between them and dreading to miss her chance. She smiled. "I should appreciate an introduction to your sister, Mr Darcy, if it is not too much trouble? I see she is fast becoming friends with Mary and Miss Sally, and I confess I am wild to know what occupies them in such animated conversation."

Darcy's expression faltered in a droll smile, as if the notion of joining not three but four young ladies in animated discussion about some topic that was surely far beyond his own sphere of interest physically pained him. Yet, he complied, bidding Mr and Mrs Gardiner a silent farewell with the tilt of his head and turning with Elizabeth to the group of giggling young ladies.

"Georgiana," he said, gruffly, as they reached the trio. "Allow me to introduce Miss Elizabeth Bennet."

Georgiana beamed at her for a moment, before turning back to her conversation, and Lizzy laughed. Darcy was less amused by what he took to be poor manners, and he cleared his throat, wordlessly entreating his sister to show greater respect to their guest. Georgiana, so enamoured of her discussion of music with both Sally and Mary, did not seem to notice and Elizabeth laid a light hand on Darcy's arm, silently bidding him retreat and leave the young ladies to themselves.

They continued on their slow circuit of the room but neither one seemed inclined to immediately join another conversation. Elizabeth held her breath. This was the closest she and Darcy had been since their confusing reunion, the most at peace with one another, and she was wary of spoiling the moment.

"I trust your family are well settled at Gracechurch Street?" Darcy asked, when they had walked a step or two in silence.

"Yes." Elizabeth smiled. "It is certainly cosy, but I think we are all pleased to be there and to be together." She glanced over at Lydia and Kitty, who had captured Jane and Mr Bingley and were in raptures about the promised assembly. "We shall be attending this Thursday's assembly and every one thereafter, if Lydia and Kitty are to have their way."

Darcy grimaced.

"I, too, seem unable to avoid the assembly this Thursday." He nodded to Georgiana. "As you point out, Georgie has been too often without companionship of late, and she is so excited for the chance to dance that I could not find it in my heart to deny her."

"And you will enjoy dancing, too, I suppose?" Elizabeth prompted, keeping her voice light. "I seem to recall you enjoying at least one assembly in London before now." She bit her lip knowing that to refer, however obliquely, to their shared past was to take a risk and yet unable to avoid it. Darcy glanced at her, as if seeking to determine the reason behind her words and she strove to keep her expression bright.

"I confess I have never been fond of assemblies," he said, gruffly, softening only after a full moment's consideration. "Although I shall acknowledge that on certain occasions they have been rendered more or less bearable by the company of others."

"Perhaps this Thursdays will be an evening to enjoy, rather than to endure, then. You shall be amongst friends."

She put almost unconscious emphasis on the word friends and Darcy looked at her. Without words, they seemed to understand one another and when he spoke again it was with a warmth in his voice she had not heard for months, if not years.

"Perhaps."