Part 20

It had cheered Darcy considerably that Georgiana had been so eager to call on the Egertons. Not because he wished to be rid of her, but it was pleasing to witness her developing new friendships. He grimaced, recalling how withdrawn she had become after the Wickham business and he doubted the wisdom of keeping her confined to Pemberley. He and his cousin had discussed the plan at length and whilst Colonel Fitzwilliam had urged Darcy to come to London and bring Georgiana then, claiming the energy and activity of town would serve as a worthy distraction, Darcy had been determined that she remain in Pemberley, safe from stares and gossip. Seeing how she had blossomed at dinner and how freely she went about with these new friends, Darcy was forced to acknowledge that perhaps, in this, Richard had been right. Perhaps it would have been better to allow Georgiana to throw herself into society and thus forget Wickham. The rumours had stayed away. Darcy's payment to Wickham had ensured that and all his fears for Georgiana's future had been unfounded.

She was fortunate. He recalled all that Egerton had confided to him of the fate of his sister, similarly deceived and ill-used by Wickham. She had remained in London but her recovery had been as slow and solitary as Georgiana's had been. He could tell, although he would never have remarked upon it, from the shadows in Joanna's eyes, the drawn-ness of her features, that she suffered still and hoped that a friendship between her and Georgiana might benefit them both.

With a sigh, he turned back to his ledger. It had been more than a convenient excuse when Georgiana posed the notion of calling to him earlier. However much he might have cared to accompany her and see their friends, he truly did have work to complete and he had already neglected things too long for the sake of his friends.

His lips quirked, thinking how unlike himself it was to put social gatherings ahead of his responsibilities. Here, he already had half an eye towards the upcoming assembly and the knowledge that he would enjoy the evening all the more without the press of unfinished work awaiting his attention. Enjoyment? At a public assembly? It was unheard of, and yet it was not entirely unheard of. He had enjoyed the assemblies well enough when he was younger.

He turned a page, and with it, his mind turned back a few years, to when Wickham had been the one urging and cajoling Darcy to attend assemblies with him and his reticence had been at least partly feigned. It had been at one of those assemblies he had first met Elizabeth...

He was so lost in his memories that he did not hear the commotion that signalled an arrival and it was not until the door to his study was heartily knocked upon and thrown open that he glanced up, startled to behold his cousin.

"Darcy!"

Colonel Fitzwilliam did not wait to be greeted, but took Darcy's stunned silence as an invitation and strode in, waving away the anxious servant who had tried to delay his intrusion with a broad smile.

"Now, tell me you have something good to drink. I require it!" He moved straight towards Darcy's cabinet, helping himself to a generous measure of brandy, which he swallowed in one gulp, immediately refilling his glass. "You will not believe the morning I have had, Darcy. I scarcely believe it myself."

"I am still surprised to see you," Darcy said, recalling himself at last and firmly closing the door on his memories of Elizabeth. It would do him no good to dwell on them, especially not now that Colonel Fitzwilliam had arrived. And this was the real question: why had he arrived, so suddenly and without word?

"Sit down and stop thundering around. This room is not big enough for you to march in!" Darcy gestured towards the chair opposite his desk and waved away Richard's offer to pour Darcy a drink of his own brandy. He relented and rose to pour himself a rather more moderate measure, before settling down opposite his cousin and bidding him explain himself.