Part 24

"You oughtn't to tease Mary like that," Jane scolded, as soon as the door closed behind their sister's hasty exit.

"Why not?" Elizabeth stifled a yawn, glancing at the first page of the book Mary had handed her and grimacing. She was in no humour to read, which was quite a peculiar circumstance for the bookworm of the Bennet family, but she told herself that that was because she had greater things to occupy her mind. Sliding the book to one side, she leaned forward, tugging at a loose thread on her cuff. "I tease all my sisters equally, Jane. Just wait until I begin on your Mr Bingley."

"He is not my Mr Bingley," Jane began, before noticing the way the light danced in Elizabeth's eyes. The teasing had begun. She bit her lip and directed all of her attention to her sewing, and Lizzy laughed to see her.

"Perhaps not yet," Elizabeth conceded. "Very well, he shall remain his own self until you are engaged." She examined her fingernails. "Which ought to be soon, Jane, if my calculations are correct."

"Lizzy." Mrs Gardiner's tone grew warning again, and this time Elizabeth heeded her. Her aunt knew too many secrets of Lizzy's own that she might deploy against her.

"I do not see why so many of my daughters should be so eager to marry," Mr Bennet harrumphed from his corner, ignoring the sly exchange of glances between his sister-in-law and his second-eldest daughter. The eldest, Jane, took him at his word, her face falling.

"Oh, Papa! Do you not like Mr Bingley?"

She had betrayed herself, and she knew it, her cheeks reddening as she bent even further over her sewing to hide them.

"I like him well enough," Mr Bennet allowed. "He is certainly wealthy and agreeable and I can see no earthly reason why I should oppose you marrying him, Jane, when he asks you." His expression softened and the hint of a smile tugged at his thin lips. "Which I dare say will be soon, Elizabeth. We must all hope it will be soon, or your mother will grow even more desperate to secure his proposal." He sank his head into his hands in a comical display of despair that made everybody laugh.

"And Mr Egerton is agreeable too, Papa," Lizzy pressed, wanting to make good on her private promise to match Mary with the man she preferred. She had not meant to tease, or at least not meant it cruelly, and she began to fear she had taken it too far, always forgetting that sensitive Mary took offence far easier than any of their other sisters.

"Yes." Mr Bennet eyed her calmly. "And Mr Darcy too. Come along, Lizzy, how many other gentlemen do you wish to parade in front of me for me to remark upon?"

Lizzy's mouth fell open at the surprising mention of Mr Darcy, but she recovered herself quickly with a laugh.

"Poor Papa. I suppose it is not very enjoyable for you, all this talk of romance."

"Funny how your thoughts should turn to romance at the mention of Mr Darcy, Lizzy," Mrs Gardiner remarked, her own eyes fixed on her work. Lizzy flushed, her lips tightening into a line.

"I meant Mr Bingley," she murmured. "And Mr Egerton." Unwilling or able to sit still any longer, she stood and walked a slow circuit of the parlour, dodging past furniture and her father's feet, which were stretched out in front of him as he lounged in his chair. She felt more than one pair of eyes on her and forced herself to wait until she reached the window before glancing back to see that yes, her aunt was watching her, and Jane too, with a thoughtful expression playing over her delicate features. Lizzy snapped her head back around to look out of the window.

She might deceive her family if she wished to, and at that moment she wished to, but there was no deceiving herself. She had lain awake late into the night after their dinner at the Darcys', replaying the dance she and Mr Darcy had shared, the words he had spoken that indicated that he thought of her with the same affection she felt towards him. Her heart stirred within her. Could it be possible that fate had afforded them a second chance?

"It was good of him to dance with Kitty, I thought," Jane remarked, evidently eager to keep their conversation circling Mr Darcy. It took all of Lizzy's strength not to turn around and offer her own opinion, but she kept her counsel, rejoicing to hear him spoken well of, first by her sister, then her aunt, then, surprisingly, her father.

"That was a sacrifice on his part, I am sure," Mr Bennet's gruff voice contributed. "I confess I rather dismissed him when we first met. Too proud. But he has mellowed a little, or perhaps it is I that have mellowed. Either way." He harrumphed. "I suppose I should not begrudge one of my daughters setting their cap at him if they were so inclined."

Lizzy held her breath, hearing her father's chair scuff the floor as he stood, and his voice moved as he strode towards the door.

"But that is not a suggestion. I am not as eager to marry all my daughters off as my wife seems to be." He patted Lizzy gently on the shoulder as he passed, whether intentionally delivering his words for her benefit or not, she was not sure.