Part 18

"Jane shall dance next!" Mrs Bennet declared, as soon as the Caroline reached her final note.

"Mama!" Jane managed but one word in protest before Mrs Bennet quelled her with a look. Lizzy, sitting beside her sister, readied herself to rise to Jane's defence but saw out of the corner of her eye, the eagerness with which Mr Bingley freed himself from Lydia's clutches and began crossing the room to where the ladies sat. She smiled, her eyes brightening at the evident affection between the pair and could not even fault Mrs Bennet's attempts to settle the question. Surely one more dance could not hurt?

"I do not wish to leave my sister," Jane began, glancing at Elizabeth.

"You needn't fret -" Lizzy began.

"Then perhaps Elizabeth should like to dance too," Mrs Gardiner remarked. She was sitting on the other side of Mrs Bennet, her attention ostensibly fixed on an imagined stain on her dress. "Mr Darcy, perhaps you will oblige?"

Lizzy felt heat flood her face and buried her chin in her chest, praying that her embarrassment was not quite evident to all. There was a discordant crash from the piano and she glanced up in time to see Caroline thud noisily back into the seat she had attempted to vacate, as Mr Darcy obediently followed the same path as his friend, bowing stiffly before her and offering his hand.

"Lovely!" Mrs Bennet declared, clapping her hands and ignoring the mutinous glare Lydia gave her as she sank into a chair next to Mrs Gardiner and buried her head in her hands, moaning loudly about how certain sisters have all the fun.

Elizabeth allowed Mr Darcy to lead them into position beside Bingley and Jane, arresting him for a moment with the lightest touch on the arm.

"You must not allow my aunt to order you around," she murmured, her gaze darting around him and not quite settling on his face for more than an instant.

"You would prefer me to take my orders from your mother?" The ghost of a smile rested on his features for half a moment and Elizabeth was startled into smiling in return, seeing in this Mr Darcy, again, the man she had known years before. His invitation to dance might have come at the behest of another, but she could not pretend to regret that they were now permitted, nay expected, to circle one another and share a word without fear of being overheard by their family and friends.

"I am surprised to see you take orders at all," she ventured, her eyes sparkling with fun. "And in your own house, too!"

"I am at the service of my guests," Darcy acknowledged, with a slight bob of his head. His smile faltered to a grimace. "For good or for ill."

Lizzy swallowed a laugh and they stepped their dance in perfect time, oblivious to the observation of their friends, conscious only of the music and one another. Even Jane and Bingley had faded from Lizzy's notice for a moment and she turned her head to confirm that they, too, danced with grace and matching smiles that suggested that they were equally contented.

This realisation brought her up short and she faltered, almost stumbling but rectifying the misstep in an instant. Darcy's expression had become one of concern and she reassured him with a stiff smile.

Jane and Bingley are in love, she reminded herself. And only days away from an engagement. What exists between Darcy and I is hardly comparable to that! Yet she could not help but enjoy the familiar feel of him next to her, secure in the knowledge that his gaze was drawn to hers at least as often as hers was to his. This was what she had dreamed of for so many years, before abandoning hope altogether. Even being reunited with Mr Darcy, and all the occasions they had been forced to speak to one another, had done little to encourage her in thinking that there would ever be hope for them again. If even friendship had seemed out of the question then what hope could she have for more?

"What are you thinking about?" Darcy asked, as the dance moved them closer to one another again. Elizabeth looked up at him and he smiled as he held his hand up, meeting hers palm-to-palm as the dance dictated.

"You have the same frown you always wear when you are puzzling something out. At least, I fancy that is what the look signifies." His smile faded into melancholy. "I recall it well, from - before."

Lizzy coloured, surprised by his frank admission almost as much by the realisation that he was right. She strove to smooth out her forehead so that no more of the inner workings of her mind might be so easily betrayed and cast around for an answer she might give.

"I am considering my sister and Mr Egerton," she said, spying Mary and their friend cosily discussing something quite serious, if Mary's darting eyes were any indication.

Darcy turned his head to observe the pair, before looking back at her.

"They look well together." He paused, as they parted and moved closer once more. "Do not you think?"

"I think they are well together," Elizabeth said, with a smile. "It is more than mere appearance. Any two people may have the appearance of affection."

"Such as Mr Bingley and your sister?" Darcy asked, one corner of his lips lifting in a half-smile.

"You think that is appearance, only?"

"I have heard it suggested as such." Darcy raised his eyebrows, inviting her to correct him.

"Then you do not know my sister!" Elizabeth shot back, surprised at the flare of agitation in her chest. His answer, when it came, was gentle and immediately served to soothe her temper.

"I do not," Darcy conceded. "And I once thought I knew you, and now see I was mistaken there, too."

It was not a declaration of love, nor an admission of his own guilt - the part that his pride had played in allowing them to be parted. She was not sure she would ever hear such an admission from his lips, but something in his eyes went beyond what mere words could say.

"And now?" she asked, breathless in anticipation. "Do you know me better now than the last time we were in London?"

"I knew you well enough in London," Darcy confessed, a sad smile lifting his features. "It was afterwards that I drifted into misunderstanding. Now I see I was deceived. My first impression, my very first, was right."

"Then we differ, Mr Darcy," Elizabeth ventured, as the dance wove towards its conclusion, and Caroline's pace slackened as she cared little to play beyond its end.

Darcy stiffened, his breath catching and Lizzy hurried out her answer, hoping that he would understand the depth of feeling it concealed.

"I know you more now than I ever did before, and find I admire you all the more."

She glanced away, startled by her own honesty, and scarcely heard the murmured response Darcy gave as the couples parted, applauding their musician.

"I could not have put it better myself."