Part 27

Richard and Darcy exchanged one glance, neither needing to say a word, before briskly marching into the assembly room, flanking Georgiana on either side and offering her no chance to escape.

"We might have said hello," she began. "Perhaps -"

"Perhaps you can introduce me to a few folks, Georgiana," Richard remarked, as if there was nothing at all the matter. "I am sure you have plenty of friends here this evening, and I, newly arrived in town as I am, no no-one."

This was a ludicrous statement and Georgiana opened her mouth to say so when she locked eyes on her cousin and saw genuine concern in the depths of his usually merry eyes.

"Yes, very well," she managed, glancing back at Darcy to see if he had heard their conversation. His features had sunk into the habitual scowl he had almost abandoned wearing, and its reappearance was not a happy one. Frowning herself to see her brother so despondent, she was reluctant to abandon him until Charles Bingley heralded them from yards away and urged them to join him. Ensured, by his presence and Caroline's that Darcy would not be left without companionship, Georgiana allowed her cousin to steer her away into the crowd. He did not seek introductions, however, and seemed to have forgotten that that was the reason he had given for needing her with him.

"Are you alright, Georgie?" he asked, his voice low. His back remained straight, his gaze fixed on the milling crowd, so to any watcher it might not have been obvious that he had spoken at all. Georgiana was no mere watcher, though, and felt every ounce of the concern behind the simple question.

"Quite well," she replied, smiling to underline the truth of the statement. "Truly," she repeated, when Richard inclined his head to look at her. "I care nothing for George Wickham any longer." This was not entirely true, but so close to the truth that Georgiana thought she had convinced her cousin. He nodded, slightly, his expression dipping into a frown that looked so out of place on his usually cheerful face that his next comment made Georgiana's own attempt at a smile falter.

"I do not like that we should see him in company with Elizabeth." He let out a breath. "I assume that must have been Elizabeth, from the way Darcy reacted. I dare say the presence of Wickham anywhere would cause him to freeze but so obvious a sign of unhappiness is uncharacteristic for your stoic brother."

Georgiana nodded, miserably.

"It is to be expected that they know each other," Richard continued, as he and Georgiana continued their slow circuit of the room, pausing only occasionally to exchange greetings with acquaintances they passed. "If he has been in Hertfordshire, as you say. Meryton is not a big place, I don't suppose."

"I wouldn't know," Georgiana said, faintly, recalling that she had spent less than an hour there, before returning to London to join her brother. She wrung her hands irritably at her waist. "Oh, Richard! I was so determined to match them and have Darcy be happy. If George ruins things again -"

"He won't," Richard said, his voice low and reassuring, with a hint of menace. He stopped moving altogether, glancing over Georgiana's head towards Darcy before looking back at her, evidently torn over some silent decision. At last, he came to it and, shaking his head slightly to dislodge whatever opposition his mind conjured up, he spoke, soft and low and swift, his words barely audible to Georgiana and certainly beyond the reach of any of their neighbours.

"He came to see me. Wickham. Claimed some great apology, some change of heart and a desire to do right. I did not believe it at first, but Darcy corroborated some of what he said." He alluded to the link between Egerton and Wickham and Georgiana nodded, recalling all that Darcy had shared of their tragic past connection.

"Yes, that is right. Then why on earth should George come here, to surround himself with so many people to whom he has caused such pain?"

"I don't know." Richard stroked his chin, considering her question.

"He would not seek to make matters worse for himself, surely?"

Her cousin's reply was scarcely audible, little more than a grumble, low in his throat.

"He is scarcely capable of managing that."

Desperate, Georgiana grasped at the one thread still available to her.

"Perhaps I can speak to Elizabeth. She may not know -" Her breath caught, her courage faltering at the thought of needing to disclose to someone she dearly longed to befriend a secret from her past that might keep her ever more at bay. Swallowing her fear, she tried again. "She may not have an understanding of Wickham's true character."

"And you think now is the time and place to enlighten her?" Richard looked down at her, his eyes widening a little at this show of courage from the cousin he still felt in need of protection and shelter.

"You need not tell all..." he began, raking a hand through his hair. "Perhaps it is better if I seek out Wickham." He clenched his mouth shut, a nerve twitching in his jaw and Georgiana realised, for the first time, just how much effort he had deployed to keep his anger in check.

"I do not think that wise," she said, smiling a little as she laid a placating hand on her cousin's arm. "Why not see after William?" She glanced around, trying to locate her brother, and saw that he had drifted to the very edge of the group containing Mr and Miss Bingley, partly, perhaps, to escape the attentions of Caroline Bingley but partly, Georgiana was sure, to escape the inclusion of the Bennets. Yes, there was Jane and Lydia and Kitty. Only Mary and Elizabeth were missing from their group, and Georgiana soon spotted Mary, flanked by the Egerton family. Elizabeth, though, was missing still, and Georgiana's heart sank. She could not still be with Mr Wickham, surely? Are we too late? But, no. The crowd parted and Georgiana could just make out a familiar dark-haired figure.

"Go," she instructed Richard, pointing him towards Darcy. "I will speak to Elizabeth, and tell her nothing unless I feel I must."

"I see you have left me with the harder task," Richard grumbled but smiled, to show that he meant it good-naturedly. "You know I am a poor manager of your brother when he is at his worst."

"Then you require practice," Georgiana retorted, smiling sweetly at him. She turned away so he would not see the anxiety flicker across her face as she made her way towards Elizabeth, struggling to conjure up an opening to the conversation she knew she must now have, and feared to begin.