06 | Who's Adam?

Going to the backyard again, I find Axel holding Adam's hand as he talks to Jaden, Caleb, and James. It's a weird sight considering that Axel might have a son, but at the same time it reminds me of the person I fell for. The Axel that cared for others.

Now I'm not sure he cares for others like he used to. I don't even know him now.

As if sensing me, Jaden looks up. His eyes connect with mine and widen as he realizes something. He looks from to Axel and then to Adam.

The panic in his face tells me everything I need to know.

Adam is Axel's son.

It's like a heavy and dark cloud has taken over my emotions. I turn around quickly, heading back to the spot Olivia and I had talked earlier. The tears threaten to fall down my face, but I try to keep it together until I get to the bench.

A bunch of thoughts start to enter my head once I sit down. Ones I'd been blocking out for a couple of days now.

Did Axel cheat on me? Did he get a girl pregnant and break up with me so he could be there for her and Adam?

If Adam isn't older than three, that means Axel had to have cheated on me nine months before he broke up with me.

Had our entire relationship been a lie?

My head is spinning as I press my hands against my skull, trying to stop the thoughts from swirling around in my head. And then the first tear rolls down my face.

"Vienna?"

I lift my head and spot Jaden standing there. He looks sad, sad like I've never seen him. He's watching me with pity written all over his face.

"He cheated on me and you knew, didn't you?"

Jaden's jaw drops. "V, it's not what you think."

"It isn't?" I whisper as more tears stream down my face. "Cause it sure looks that way."

Jaden walks closer to me, hesitant to sit beside me. "I promise you it's not."

"Then why does Adam look just like him?"

His head falls. "Vienna, it's not my place to tell you."

I grit my teeth, trying to keep my voice level with him. "Funny, Olivia said the same thing." It's a lot easier for me to get upset with him because he's always been like a second brother to me.

"I don't know what to tell you," he says, not making eye contact with me.

"Hey guys," a familiar voice says.

I wipe my face with my hands before turning towards Axel, knowing that he'll know I've been crying.

Turning around, I look at him. Adam's hand is holding his as he watches me. Instead of facing him, I watch Adam who stares up at him in admiration. I can't help but feel some type of tug.

Heartache or longing tugs at my heart, but I can't tell which one it is.

Finally, I let my eyes wander to Axel's. His eyes are the piercing blue they've always been, but they seem a little duller now, like some of the light in his life has disappeared.

"Uh, hey Axel," Jaden says, looking at me. The look he's giving me is him asking whether he should leave or stay.

I nod my head for him to go. He gives me the tiniest smile before nodding his head back at me and leaving. As he passes Axel, he whispers something to him.

Adam finally looks at me and let's go of Axel's hand, taking Jaden's instead. "Isn't that the girl who fell out of the tree?" Adam whisper-yells to them.