Present Shopping & Phone Calls

Andy's POV

Camping was fun. We went fishing some more, made s'mores and a hole bunch of stuff. It's our last day and we woke up to it raining. We spent a few hours just hanging out in the tent.

We talked, and I gave Luke on of my books, so he could read. We were supposed to leave early this afternoon anyway, so we decided to just head home a few hours early.

We get everything loaded into the truck and both hope in when it stops raining. We look at each other.

"Of course it stops at soon as we're done," I say.

Luke just shakes his head and starts the truck. We make it back to the diner just as the lunch rush is slowing down. We get everything unloaded and both shower.

Luke gets to work in the diner and I wander off. Luck for me I was able to ge my licence with I turned 16. Lorelai helped me learn.

I took Luke's truck and drove to Hartford. I heard that they have a really nice jewelry store. It's the last week in May, so Father's Day is in a couple of weeks and I want to do something special for Luke.

I found a key chain that said 'DNA didn't make you my dad, but fate intervened and Love made us a family'. On another circular little charm it says #1 Dad.

I also found matching bracelets

I also found matching bracelets. He's not the type of guy to wear jewelry, but I really think he'll like these. They were circle pendants with leather cords.

Across the top of each circle is going to be the date I met Luke. The bottom for now is blank. They would take a couple weeks to finish which is just in time for Father's Day.

I take the box with the key chains and head home. When I get back I run up to hide his gift and then come back down to help.

"Where did you run off to?" Luke asks.

"I went to Hartford, clothes shopping. I looked in a couple stores and didn't find anything I liked," I reply with a fake pout.

I was convincing enough for him to just nod and walk away. I work clearing tables and refilling drinks.

--

It's early evening, the sun is just starting to set and the phone rings. I catch it before Luke does.

"Luke's Diner."

"Hello, this is Julie Robertson, is Lucas Danes there?"

"Um, yes he is," I reply.

I look at him across the room and hold the phone up. He switches the pad in his hand for the phone and I take over getting the table's order.

I listen enough to write down what they want, but I also listen to Luke's conversation. He doesn't sound angry or frustrated. He actually sounds happy.

"Yeah, that works great. Thank you. We'll see you then. Goodbye," he says.

I walk up to hand the order to Caesar just as he hangs up the phone, so I stop next to him.

"What was that about?" I ask.

"That was you social worker. She scheduled a visit for next week," he tells me.

"Really!?" I ask bouncing on my toes.

He just nods and pulls me into a quick hug. God I can't wait. I really hope this all goes well. A few hours later our last few customers clear out and we clean and close up for the night.

After getting upstairs I flop on my bed, exhausted. Luke makes us something simple for dinner. I have to make myself get up. We eat, I help with dishes and then we both get ready for bed.

We end the night the same way we have since I got here. Both on our sides of the apartment, in our beds.

"Goodnight, Andy."

"Goodnight, Dad."