~ chapter 13 ~

Weeks have passed since they were at the lake. The leaves were changing and the air was becoming crisp. Madelyn and Malfoy talked more and more gradually as each day passed. It was never about anything important, just random things. Malfoy was still a stern, arrogant prick but Madelyn felt like she could actually have conversations with him. She found herself learning the quirks of Draco Malfoy: He hates when his friends mess with him and act like they're smarter, even though everyone knows he is one of the top students of their year. Malfoy prefers to make the coffee in the morning because Madelyn always makes it too weak. He also thoroughly enjoys working on homework, especially for potions. Lastly, he despised feeling like he was going to be late for class, always making Madelyn feel rushed in the morning. 

There were always negatives that came with the positives. Although they were able to finally have conversations, they began to bicker. Madelyn enjoyed having their suite tidy, while Malfoy didn't feel the same. He would leave dishes in the sink, to be taken care of, and leaves just piles of clothes wherever he wanted. Madelyn felt like she was his maid, which didn't sit right with her. The two were raised a little differently. Malfoy was raised to always have high standards but was always cared for, while Madelyn was raised to have everything perfect and to never high expectations, especially for people. This created many little issues within their suite.

It was now the end of October and many of the relationships were becoming serious. They were all going to need to be married within the next eight months, so engagements were all the talk. This, of course, crossed Madelyn's mind but the thought of Malfoy proposing almost made her laugh. She chose to forget that marriage was quickly approaching because she hasn't even kissed this man and didn't plan on doing that anytime soon. Neville had planned to propose soon, same with Ron, but Harry didn't feel it was time yet. The boys all talked with Madelyn and wanted a female's insight on how they should do it. Madelyn got over the jealousy of not being loved like her friends were because all she could feel was happiness for them. 

Madelyn didn't plan much for her weekend, since Neville was planning to propose. He told Madelyn and their friends all about this little area he set up in the forest, and he wanted all of their closest friends to be there. The only thing was that he didn't know when he was going to propose, so all of their friends had to be ready whenever the time struck. She woke up early on Saturday, drank her coffee, and had a bowl of cereal. Malfoy went to the Great Hall with his friends for breakfast, allowing her to eat in peace. Although she enjoyed the silent company of Malfoy, it was nice to be alone. She never really thought about having to live with someone for the rest of her life because Madelyn always had in the back of her mind that she would wake up and it all would have been a bad dream. 

She sat reading her book, scooping cereal onto her spoon, then periodically sipping on her coffee. Everything was peaceful till Malfoy burst through the door. Madelyn jumped and dropped her spoon full of cereal all over her pajama shorts. He hurried over to the kitchen table, Madelyn was sitting at, and threw down an envelope. 

"You scared me!" Madelyn yelled as she got up and got a towel from a drawer in the kitchen.

"Read this," Malfoy spat as he slid the envelope towards the spot Madelyn was sitting at. Madelyn sat back down and as she was wiping herself off, she grabbed the letter. It had a name on the front:

Draco Malfoy

Madelyn looked back up at him with concern, as it must have been important if Malfoy was making a scene. She opened the envelope, pulled out the letter, and began reading. It started off by talking about what the writer has been doing since the last time they wrote to each other. Then there were a few questions, like about how classes were going and if the Headmaster was treating Malfoy nicely. The last couple of sentences read: