~ chapter 14 ~

The only sounds to be heard were the taps of Madelyn's heels. As each step passed, she felt her heartbeat harder and faster. There was nowhere to gain comfort, mostly because the boy next to her was just as troubled by what was forthcoming. Madelyn shifted her eyes to the left to see the man next to her, only to find a stern, blank expression. It only made Madelyn more worried knowing that the son of the woman she is about to meet was just as concerned. 

The sun was still in the sky as it was the late afternoon and the light breeze made the leaves dance in front of the two as they walked down the pathway. Madelyn was well aware of how the Malfoy's felt about blood purity, but she was unsure if their opinion had changed since everything that happened the year before. Every anxious thought passing her brain made her heart pound even harder, sounding like the organ was in her ear. Madelyn let out an unwanted sigh but quickly cleared her throat to adjust herself. 

"It's going to be fine," Malfoy said in response. Malfoy's words helped ease some of the thoughts but she still had no idea what to expect. 

They eventually reached the door, allowing the two to finally face each other. After a quick stare, Malfoy pressed the doorbell and loud bells rang throughout the home, echoing along the walls. Madelyn took in a deep breath and let it escape. The door then opened and appeared a pale, thin woman, with black and white hair. She wore a tight, elegant dress with a dark green coat over top. Madelyn was unsure if her own outfit would even be suitable to enter such a place. The woman's dark red lips gave a genuine grin as she saw her son. 

"Draco, my darling," Narcissa said as she reached out her arms and gave a hug. 

"Hello, mother," Malfoy said, happily as they were in a hug. 

She pulled back and looked at the woman next to her son. 

"And, this must be Madelyn Jones." She reached out her arms to grab onto Madelyn's shoulders, giving a light kiss on each cheek. Madelyn smiled as Narcissa pulled away and looked Madelyn up and down. 

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Malfoy," Madelyn said, able to hide the nerves in her voice.

"No need for that. Call me Narcissa, dear. Come in, come in, I have been anxious to see the two of you," Narcissa said as she lead the two into a seating area to the left. Madelyn followed behind Malfoy, taking in all interior of their home. It was bigger than any home Madelyn had ever seen. The interior was vintage and elegant, but not a single spec of dust in sight. The windows took up an entire wall and had long, wine red curtains pulled back to expose the light to the room. There was a large built-in bookcase across the room and a classical piano on another side. There was not one thing in the home that didn't look expensive. Narcissa sat on an auburn armchair that matched the couch that Malfoy and Madelyn sat on. The two didn't know how close to sit, so they both adjusted themselves till they were a few inches apart. 

"So? Tell me about yourself," Narcissa asked as she sat back in her chair but still in a formal manner.

"Oh, I, um, am not sure what to say," Madelyn said nervously. Not one thought came to her head of what she could say to Narcissa.

"Tell me about your parents."

"My father is Christopher Jones and my mother's name Gemma."

"Are they both wizards?" Narcissa asked as she sat up a bit.

"My mother is a muggle but my father is a wizard."

"Pureblood?" Malfoy fidgeted in his seat as Narcissa asked.

"Yes, my father is a pure-blood," Madelyn said she played with her fingers to try and calm her down.

"I see. How do they feel about this arrangement?"