•Chapter Five• The gala...

Kimberly's pov -

The whole room stunk of wealth.

Rich people laughing and slow music playing, I couldn't help but feel a little, well...out of place.

Luca had let go of my hand as soon as we entered the room, leaving a cold sensation, almost like my body was begging for his warmth back. Our shoulders slightly brushed against each other's as we walked further inside, people's eyes shooting our way.

"Something tells me you are definitely way more well known than I'm aware" I muttered, looking up at him.

"All in good time, Kimberly" He replied, his hand landing on the bottom on my back, pushing me towards the fancy bar in the corner of the room.

"Dri-"

Before Luca could finish, I turned to the bartender. "A pina colada, please" I told him, my eyes catching onto Luca's.

My head cocked to the side, watching him closely as he scanned my face. "What, never seen a woman order her own drink before?"

He ignored me, pulling a credit card out of his pocket and paying for my drink, before I could even reach into my own purse. A cocky smirk on his lips, before he told the man behind the bar, what he wanted.

Asshole. Sexy asshole.

Shut up Kimberly.

"Thank you" I whispered, taking my drink from his hand. As I sipped on it, I saw Luca watching me from the corner of my eye.

"So hospital, why's that?"

My eyebrows furrowed. "If that was your attempt of asking why I decided to take a medical career path, then you really are terrible with words, Luca" He only shrugged, placing his whisky to his lips, I rolled my eyes before opening my mouth to speak again.

"Helping people" I simply replied, placing my glass down onto the bar counter. "I've always loved it, makes me feel like the best version of myself" a smile spread across my lips.

"What about your own happiness? You say you do it because you enjoy helping others...but does your job bring you genuine self happiness?"

"Definitely" I instantly nodded, "I'm more than happy doing what I do..."

He only hummed in response, I turned my head slightly to see him twirling his glass around in his hand, seeming to zone out.

"Are you?" I asked, instantly catching his attention. "You know, happy doing...well whatever it is, that you do for a living?"

He wet his lips, opened his mouth and closed it again. "This isn't an opening up session" he scoffed, making me furrow my eyebrows.

Why the sudden coldness?

Before anything else could be said, a loud and very deep voice, interrupted us. Luca snapped his head up, moving so he was now stood next to me.

"Figlio" The voice was deep and powerful, just like Luca's, except the Italian accent was just a little stronger and rougher. [Son]