meeting michael clifford.

Sage Green loved airports, and she wasn't sure why.

She liked the corners where she could just sit and read until her flight was ready to board. She liked people watching, and guessing things about someone as they walked by — talking into their phone.

"Flight 429 is ready to board." The intercom said.

Bella sat up in her chair, glancing at Sage who was putting her book in her arms and grabbing her carry on.

"Ready?" She asked with a small smile on her face.

"Sure." Sage mumbled.

Bella and Sage got settled on their flight and it took off soon after. The flight was long, it took nearly a whole day just to get to America, and when they did — it was pouring down rain.

"Where is he?" Sage complained slightly, walking through the airport as she listened to the pitter-patter of the rain outside.

"Outside. He's going to pick us up," Bella said gently, grabbing Sage's suitcase from the conveyer belt and handing it to her.

"Wait, we're staying at his house?" Sage said quickly, turning around to face her mom. "I thought you said we were staying at a hotel."

Bella sighed. "I'm sorry."

The shoulders of Sage fell in defeat as they made their way toward the exit of the airport doors. Bella was off running when she saw Michael standing with his arms open, leaving Sage alone in this creepy place.

She rolled her eyes and made her way to the happy couple.

They pulled apart and Bella went to put her suitcase in the back when Michael turned to Sage. "Hi, Sage. It's lovely to meet you." He said, extending his hand.

Sage shook his hand and mumbled. "You too."

The meeting was awkward, let's be real. Bella, Michael and Sage all entered his car and he began driving to his home. Sage had to admit, Seattle was beautiful, but she missed home already.

It made Sage a little bit uneasy knowing she was in the same country as her father. She knew the chances of seeing him were low, but it also increased from when she was home.

Seeing him would make her feel like she was 13 again, watching him bring his belongings into his car, arguing with her mom as she tried to get him to acknowledge Sage.

She closed her eyes tightly. Ignoring the tight feeling in her chest.

Winston would always be dead to Sage, no matter what he did. The amount of stress he gave her and her mom was crazy — she prayed Michael wouldn't hurt her mom like her dad did.

"It's so rainy," Sage decided to comment.

Michael laughed. "It's Washington. It washes itself. One of my patients, Lavender, says that."

Sage let out a small laugh. "She's funny."

"How long until we get to your house?" Bella interrupted, causing Sage to roll her eyes. "I'm cold."

"30 minutes," Michael said softly. "Without traffic. But I'll turn on the heat if you'd like."

Michael tapped the heater button on his tesla, causing the car to heat up in seconds. Sage kept an eye on the outside weather, watching the beautiful scenery pass by.

The three got to Michael's house fast, and to say that Sage was surprised was an understatement. It was a gorgeous, gorgeous house — it was a lake house, which was even better.

4 cars on the outside of the home, 3 story house at best, a two door front entrance, a balcony on the front from what Sage could be was a bedroom. Her jaw was on the floor.

"My roommates are excited to meet you," Michael said to Bella as he got out of the car and opened the door for her and Sage.

Sage grabbed her suitcase and backpack and followed Michael up the staircase. He unlocked the door and a whiff of vanilla bean and cinnamon hit her face. She inhaled.

"Welcome to my humble abode." Michael smiled at Sage. "I'm home! I brought guests."

3 adults came down the stairs, and Sage inhaled sharply. 3 more fucking people.

"Ashton, Luke, and Calum — meet Sage and Bella." Michael introduced the 2. Bella shook the hands of each one, and then Sage put on a smile and did the same thing.

"It's nice to meet you guys," Calum said. "Sage, I can show you to your room if you'd like."

Sage instantly liked Calum. She nodded, grabbing her suitcase and following Calum to the guest bedroom. He opened the door and Sage's jaw nearly dropped.

2 weeks in this lovely bedroom. With a bathroom, and a walk-in closet, and a balcony overlooking the lake. She couldn't ask for anything better.

"Thank you," Sage smiled at Calum, and extended her hand. "I'm Sage, as you know."

Calum laughed and shook her hand too. "Nice to meet you. I hope you're comfortable. I'll leave you to unpack, dinner should be ready later."