Chapter 9

“What do you think they’re going to do to me?” I asked.

“Hard to say. You did give yourself up. So maybe Sean will be more considerate and just lock you up in the holding cells.” 

“Alright.” 

I looked around as we kept walking forward. Seeing the interior of the building. The first thing I saw was the white marbled walls, leading down the hallway, and doors that led to different rooms. 

After seeing the walls and doors in the hallway. I looked in front of us, seeing we were about to get on an elevator. I was curious as to where they were taking me.

“Where am I being taken to?” 

“Sean, of course. He’s the one who is going to determine what will come of you remember.”

Hearing that they planned on taking me to Sean. My curiosity then shifted to wondering what Sean will do with me. Thinking that maybe he’d torture me, or brain ash me like the villain usually does in the movies.

“Looks like we made it” Markus commented as the elevator came to a stop.

“I am both pleased and disappointed in you. You halfway failed your mission. I wanted you to bring me the whole team and yet you bring me only one of them.”

“It’s not his fault. It’s mine. We made a deal.” I chimed in.

“Is that so? Even so, this can’t go unpunished. Agents put them both in the holding cell.”

The two agents from before quickly cuffed us both. Escorting us to where the holding cells were. As they were doing this, I looked over at Markus and saw he had a blank expression on his face.

I couldn’t tell what was going on in his head. I was surprised that he didn’t try to talk Sean into letting him off the hook. I know if I was in his shoes, I’d try to convince him that I didn’t deserve to be in the holding cell.

   “Welcome to the holding cells.” One of the agents told us as we stepped out of the elevator.

“You’ll be here until further notice. Now go the designated Cell #5 and don’t try anything funny.” The other agent commented as we obeyed.

As I was walking to the cell. I saw that there was at least 20 cells in the room, each one basically empty for the most part, and that we were probably the first to be prisoned in them. Once we both stepped inside the 5th one, the agents pressed a button and lazers formed the bars to the cells.

“Why didn’t you try to talk yourself out of this? If you’re truly working for Syndicate. Shouldn’t get you a freebie?” I asked Markus.

“My freebie as you call it. Was used up when ya’ll escaped. Now I have to accept what punishment in front of me.”

    “Why did you let us escape? I am pretty sure you could’ve taken us down. But you didn’t” 

As I asked Markus this. I looked to see he went silent for a moment. Looking at his own hands, I knew he was probably doing some thinking and reflecting on his choices leading up to now. 

After a few moments of him not speaking. I saw Markus look up, glancing at me, and letting out a sigh. I could tell the as getting ready to answer the question.

“I don’t know. I guess I might’ve started to doubt my actions or something.”

“And those doubts went away?” 

I looked at Markus as he said he had doubts. Thinking that there was good in him like I initially thought. I just needed to remind him and bring out that good side of him.