| 9 |

disclaimer: i hate life. that's it. that's the disclaimer.

 that's the disclaimer

"I am the one who should apologise, I went too deep, we've barely known each other and I asked you to tell me your entire backstory, I stepped too far, I shouldn't have done that." I explained with my head hung low. I wasn't sure if I was actually sorry because I truly felt left out when Derek decided not to share anything about his life to me, it's like he didn't trust me.

"No, it's not your fault." Derek stepped in. "I should have told you something and not be so secretive." I dismissed him but he wasn't having it. "Come on, Malia, just accept the apology and let's never talk of this again." Derek scoffed and after a moment of consideration, I nodded.

We stood there for a moment, just looking at each other before it became a little weird.

"Were you expecting a hug or something?" I joked but Derek stayed very still and his eyebrow was raised as he smiled. "Alright, jeez." I sighed and went closer to him. I wrapped an arm around his neck and he slid his hands around my back. It was the most awkward hug I've ever experienced.

"You do realize this was our first fight as best friends?" Derek asked as we still hugged. It felt truly strange to hug someone for this long but at the same time, the warmth I felt was worth it.

"Best friends, did you have to make it more awkward ?" I laughed but felt a true smile finding its way to my lips.

"Oh, did I overstep-" Derek brought himself back, looking at me with furrowed eyebrows as he waited for me to stumble out an answer. He was making it weirder and weirder by the second.

"I mean, you are my best friend, you're also my only friend, does that make you my best friend?" I wondered and he just raised his shoulders in answer. "But to be fair, this is our second fight, the first one was when I found out you slept with my sister on our first day." I corrected him and Derek laughed, remembering that also.

"Ha yeah, good times." He smiled as I smacked him for saying that.

"Derek is being so secretive, it's starting to get on my nerves." Meredith spoke from behind. I furrowed my eyebrows. If even his girlfriend had no idea what was going on, then maybe he was hiding something. I now regretted how easily I dismissed him moment ago.

"You also have no idea what's going on in his life?" I turned to her. From the face Meredith was making, it didn't seem like she was reading too much into this, but this could really turn out bad. What if he was a psychopathic serial killer who likes to kill interns and their sisters?