Chapter 21: In Any way I Can

???: First you must face your past.

Seren suddenly felt very weak as he fell to his knees, passing out on the stone floor again. When he opened his eyes he was standing on small hill overlooking the capital with many people in the streets passing by. He thought back to what the voice had said before he collapsed.

Seren: So this is the past? But when am I? Is it my first or second time in the capital? IO!

Seren called for his contracted spirit to appear, but he never did.

Seren: I guess this trial is at a time before we met. Which means Felt is going to steal Emilia's insignia.

Seren rushed into the capital toward the alley he knew Emilia would come through.

Seren: If I just do everything the same then it should be fine.

Seren arrived just in time to see Felt jump over the wall to escape. Seren turned right as Emilia ran into the alley.

Emilia: There you are! Now can you please return my insignia, its very important to me.

Seren: Sorry I don't have an insignia, the girl who just ran in here and jumped over the wall might have it. You want me to help you?

Emilia: I'm sorry but I don't need you to help me, you've already given me information so I will be taking my leave now.

Seren: Wait!

Emilia exited the alley quickly after that. Seren rushed after her but when he got onto the main street she was gone.

Seren: I could have been useful to you.

Seren said in a quiet defeated voice. When suddenly the world changed, he was now in Roswaal's mansion, lying on the grass in the front yard.

Rem: Seren.

Seren sat up, Rem was walking toward him, his first instinct was to embrace her but he remembered that this Rem didn't love him yet.

Seren: Oh hey Rem.

Rem: I came here to inform you that your time is up.

Seren: Huh?!

Rem: Have you forgotten? You arrived here asking to work here, we determined that you are not useful for any sort of work. Master Roswaal kindly let you stay here for a day but that time is now up. I am here to escort you to the exit please follow me.

Seren: But I-

Rem: No complaints, that is Master Roswaal's choice, please respect it.

Rem grabbed Seren's hand and led him outside the mansion's gate, closing it behind him.

Seren stood frozen, bewildered. What had just happened? He should be a guest at the mansion for saving Emilia's life. Had it not happened this time?

The world began to change once more. He was standing in front of a very fancy golden door. He realized he was in Priscilla's mansion. He opened the door and walked in. Just like last time, Priscilla was lying on the bed in the same outfit as before.

Priscilla: Well if it isn't  the witches child. You've done your part so now enjoy your part of the deal you thirsty peasant.

 Priscilla stood up and began approaching him. For every meter she got closer Seren back up just as far. He knew what letting her get to close would entail.

Priscilla: Oh? Now that you have access to my luxurious body you've lost your nerve? Don't be so worried. You may not be useful to me anymore, but you will still be rewarded.

Seren continued to back away until he realized he had hit the wall. There wad no more backing he could do. As Priscilla got closer the world began to change once more. Seren looked around. He was still in Priscilla's room, but this time he was in the bed. He began to get up when he felt his arms wrapped around something. He turned his head to see that his arms were wrapped around Priscilla. She looked at him with a smile on her face.

Priscilla: Peasant, you may be a useless sewer rat, but you can still give me pleasure this way.

The world suddenly changed again. Seren was on the ground, bleeding and with broken bones.

Crusch: It seems we were no match for the White Whale.

The world began to change faster and faster, showing Seren all his past failures.

Seren: No! Its not true! I can help! I can be useful! I'll help all of you!

Seren started to feel more and more helpless as he started hearing voices.

Emilia: Why do you try so hard to help me?

IO: You idiot! How stupid are you?!

Priscilla: You fool! You could have had me but you gave it up for nothing!

Seren felt horrible. But then, he heard it.

Rem: To think I once loved someone like you.

That did it, Seren suddenly woke up inside the witches tomb. It was too much for him to handle, he started to break. His face felt like it was on fire, Seren bashed his head into the ground to relive himself of that pain. He ran out of the tomb, leaving Emilia's sleeping body behind. As he made his way out he heard voices.

Garfiel: What's happened to him?

Ryuzu: It appears something has broken him.

Rem: Seren!

He continued to blindly run, he tripped on the first step of the tomb falling flat on his face not even attempting to break his fall. He felt someone wrap their arms around him. He looked up to see it was Rem, she had a look of concern on her face.

Rem: Seren are you alright?

Seren didn't answer as his teeth began to chatter uncontrollably. He thought back to what he heard. "To think I once loved someone like you".

Seren: Rem!

Seren returned Rem's hug, he sobbed into the chest feeling worse then ever before.

Rem: Its alright Seren, your Rem is right here.

Seren  kept his arms around her, he hated feeling like this. After many minutes of trial and error, Rem managed to lead Seren to the building that Ryuzu had said was theirs. Rem sat down with Seren on the bed, continuing to console him.

Rem: Its ok Seren your alright.

After about 2 hours, Seren finally calmed down.

Seren: I'm ok now, thank you for staying with me this whole time.

Rem: Of course, but what happend?

Seren: Rem, do you love me?

Rem was shocked by the question.

Rem: Of course I love you Seren more then anything in the world. So please, tell me what's bothering you.

Seren: Rem, I took the trial.

Rem: You took a trial?

Seren: Yes, in that trial I saw many things from my past. But everyone acted like I was useless. I failed the trial after I heard you say, "To think I once loved someone like you".

Seren could say no more as he was suddenly kissed by Rem. When the kiss was over, Seren could see that Rem had tears in her eyes.

Rem: Oh Seren, that sounds horrible! But.......I love you. I love you, so much. Don't worry about what's happened in the past. Focus on the present, I love you and I always will.

Seren thought for a moment and smiled.

Seren: Your right, I need to focus on helping my friends. It just felt so horrible. Rem, do you mind staying with me tonight?

Rem: Of course.

They went under the covers of the bed, wrapping their arms around each other, cuddling. Seren closed his eyes, feeling the warmth of her body. Seren realized that he shouldn't be so sad. The cutest girl in the world loves him, and as long as she loved him, Seren felt like he needed nothing else.